Conor Mortimer broke the all-time Mayo scoring record as James Horan's charges claimed a comfortable 12-point Allianz Football League Division 1 win over Dublin in Castlebar, 0-20 to 0-08.

Mortimer tallied up eight points in a game which Mayo led from start to finish.

Five Mortimer points helped Mayo take a 0-13 to 0-05 interval lead. The hosts extended their advantage to 11 points by the end of the third quarter.

Dublin's woes were compounded by red cards for Paul Flynn and Diarmuid Connolly in the second half.

This refixed Division 1 clash saw the sides facing each other for the second time in as many months after the initial fixture was called off at half-time due to prevailing fog at the Mayo venue.


Mayo were boosted by the return of Aidan O'Shea from suspension, with Conor Mortimer also included in the starting line-up and he certainly caused the visitors huge problems when play got underway.

Dublin made two changes to the team they announced yesterday morning, with Darragh Daly coming in for Philly McMahon and Paddy Andrews replacing Barry Cahill.

Wind-assisted Mayo started strongly in the glorious evening sunshine with Michael Conroy registering the opening score inside the first minute off his right boot.

Man-of-the-match Mortimer made the first of his two enforced exits with a blood injury in the sixth minute. Jason Doherty was introduced for him.

Mayo racked up two wides before Conroy claimed a second point, this time from his left to ensure a 0-02 to 0-00 lead after seven minutes.

Bryan Cullen sent over Dublin's first point in the eighth minute as he rounded his marker to send over a fisted score, but Mayo continued to have all the answers.

An Alan Dillon brace of points coupled with a further Mortimer score gave the hosts a 0-05 to 0-01 lead after 12 minutes, stringing together three points in as many minutes.

Dublin hit back with two of the next three scores - Andrews and Cullen were both on target to close the gap to 0-06 to 0-03.

In between these points, Mortimer broke the Mayo record scoring tally by bringing his overall account to 14-372 in 94 games.

Mayo really began to rattle Dublin at this stage as they knocked over seven unanswered points between the 20th and 33rd minutes.

Aidan O'Shea kickstarted the Mayo onslaught with a superb score from over 45 metres out as he rifled the ball over the crossbar.

Mortimer, Dillon and Conroy added well-taken points with Barry Moran also on target shortly before the break.

Dublin had a goal chance during this spell - a 25th minute effort from Kevin Nolan was sent blazing across the goalmouth, but Mayo goalkeeper David Clarke pulled off a fine save and then fisted the ball away to safety.

Trailing by 10 points, Dublin needed a response before half-time and they got it from Tomas Quinn who tagged on two late points - one from play and the second from a free - to reduce the arrears to eight at the turnaround.

Dublin manager Pat Gilroy reacted to his side’s poor first half showing by introducing Eamon Fennell and Craig Dias in place of James McCarthy and Ross McConnell respectively.

However, the hosts maintained the form which helped them into a healthy lead as they burst out of the blocks on the restart.

Centre-back Donal Vaughan was razor sharp in the opening stages of the second half. The Ballinrobe clubman popped over the opening score of the second half inside 40 seconds.

Less than a minute later Aidan O'Shea was denied a goal by a point-blank save from Dublin net-minder Stephen Cluxton.

The momentum remained in Mayo’s grasp as Mortimer brought his tally to six points, before a second Vaughan score ensured a 0-16 to 0-05 lead.

The Metropolitans were reduced to 14 men soon after. Referee Michael Duffy produced a straight red card for Paul Flynn after he was seen to hit Mayo defender Colm Boyle.

Boyle exited the field with blood showing on his head and while he was off the pitch, Ger Brennan notched an all too rare point for Dublin.

The game was halted with a spate of blood injuries over the next seven minutes with Mortimer also forced off momentarily due to a gash.

Connolly landed his only score of the game in the 48th minute to cut the deficit to nine points, but Mayo once again found their rhythm in attack.

Dillon slotted over a well-drilled point from an acute angle to ensure an 0-18 to 0-07 scoreline by the end of the third quarter.

Conroy and Keith Higgins both shot wide of the target, but such was Mayo's dominance they could afford some missed opportunities.

Such was Dublin’s lack of attacking threat that Connolly hit their first wide of the second half with 17 minutes left on the clock.

Mayo continued to engineer scores at the other end. The impressive Vaughan was involved in feeding Conroy for another left-footed point.

Dublin were reduced to 13 men in the 58th minute after Connolly picked up a second yellow card.

Mayo were firmly in the driving seat at this stage and could afford wides from Conroy and Dillon late on, as an eighth Mortimer broke a 10-minute scoreless spell.

Substitute Dean Rock sent over Dublin's first score in 21 minutes deep into injury time with a point from play, but Mayo were ruthless throughout this contest and held out for a runaway victory.

The result has Mayo in third place in the top flight table ahead of next weekend's final round of fixtures.

The Connacht champions will head to Tralee next Sunday to face Kerry, while Dublin are also on their travels to Munster to take on Cork at Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Scorers - Mayo: C Mortimer 0-08 (0-05f), M Conroy, A Dillon 0-04 each, D Vaughan 0-02, A O'Shea, B Moran 0-01 each.

Dublin: T Quinn (0-01f), B Cullen 0-02 each, P Andrews, G Brennan, D Connolly (0-01f), D Rock 0-01 each.

Mayo: D Clarke; K Keane, S McHale, K Higgins; L Keegan, D Vaughan, C Boyle; A O'Shea, D Geraghty; K McLoughlin, A Moran, A Dillon; C Mortimer, B Moran, M Conroy.

Subs used: J Doherty for Mortimer (6-11 mins, blood sub), P Gardiner for Boyle (40-45, blood sub), J Doherty for Mortimer (46-47, blood sub), J Doherty for B Moran (59), P Gardiner for Vaughan, C O'Connor for Conroy (both 64), J Gibbons for Geraghty, A Campbell for Dillon (both 67).

Dublin: S Cluxton; D Daly, Rory O'Carroll, C O'Sullivan; J McCarthy, G Brennan, K Nolan; R McConnell, MD MacAuley; P Brogan, P Andrews, B Cullen; T Quinn, D Connolly, K McManamon.

Subs used: P Flynn for P Brogan (26 mins), E Fennell for McCarthy, C Dias for McConnell (both half-time), D Kelly for Quinn (46), D Rock for Andrews (55).

Referee: Michael Duffy (Sligo)