Wexford veteran Bren Brosnan pointed a free eight minutes into added time to dent neighbours Wicklow's promotion prospects as Saturday’s Division 4 derby at Chadwicks Wexford Park ended in deadlock.

Eoin Darcy pounced for a second goal after 67 minutes to give Wicklow a first taste of the lead (2-12 to 0-17) as Oisin McConville’s charges sought a fourth straight victory.

But Wexford refused to become disheartened, and determinedly worked two of the last three scores – Mark Rossiter (mark) and Brosnan’s free – to salvage a share of the spoils.

Wicklow, with a closing round date with Waterford to come, are now left hoping that Leitrim do them a favour against Laois on Sunday in order to keep the Garden County in with a shout of immediately bouncing back to Division 3.

Wexford full-forward Robbie Brooks was proving a handful for the Wicklow defence throughout the first half, and after an opening exchange of points, Brooks restored the home side’s lead from a mark.

He then went close with a goal chance before Cian Hughes and Brooks pushed Wexford into a 0-04 to 0-02 lead inside eight minutes.

Wicklow balanced the books again by the 12th minute as Mark Kenny and midfielder Dean Healy bridged the gap.

Wexford suffered some frustration midway through the half as they shot three wides.

But Seán Nolan landed a second score before Robbie Brooks caught a Mark Rossiter delivery and again had the goal under serious threat, only for his angled drive to fly over after 22 minutes - 0-06 to 0-04.

Brooks remained menacing and was unfortunate for a third time in front of goal just after Mark Rossiter, from a free, had put Wexford 0-07 to 0-04 clear on 25 minutes.

Wicklow weren’t prepared to allow any daylight to develop as substitute Cian O’Sullivan made an immediate impact from a couple of frees to cut the gap to 0-07 to 0-06 after 32 minutes.

Wexford centre-back Brian Molloy responded with a quality score, and wing-back Kevin O’Grady also surged through to cancel out an Eoin Darcy free as the locals broke with a 0-09 to 0-07 interval advantage.

The hosts eased 0-12 to 0-08 clear after 40 minutes as Cian Hughes, together with defenders Glen Malone and Páraic Hughes, encouraged on the restart.

Wicklow manager Oisin McConville was yellow-carded during the second half

But Wicklow centre-back Patrick O'Keane forced a penalty which Eoin Darcy drove home to tie matters for a third time after 50 minutes - 1-09 to 0-12.

Wexford again responded, and while Wicklow boss McConville was being yellow-carded, Brosnan (two) and Eoghan Nolan (mark) drove the home-side 0-15 to 1-09 clear after 57 minutes.

But Wicklow were humming again as Eoin Darcy (free), Mark Kenny and Dean Healy levelled for a fourth time.

And while Niall Hughes and Brosnan gave Wexford a 0-17 to 1-12 lead, Eoin Darcy struck with his second goal when getting on the end of a Mark Kenny assist to give Wicklow their first scent of victory as they threatened to steal a priceless two points.

But composed Wexford eventually reeled them in.

Wexford: Darragh Brooks; Brian Cushe, Páraic Hughes (0-01), Michael Furlong; Glen Malone (0-01), Brian Molloy (0-01), Kevin O’Grady (0-01); Cathal Walsh, Niall Hughes (0-01); Seán Nolan (0-02), Eoghan Nolan (0-01, 0-01m), Conor Kinsella; Cian Hughes (0-02), Robbie Brooks (0-03, 0-01m), Mark Rossiter (0-02, 0-01M).

Subs: Gavin Sheehan for Kinsella (HT), Ben Brosnan (0-04, 0-02fs) for C. Hughes (50), Conor Carty for R. Brooks (63), Richie Waters for S. Nolan (70+6).

Wicklow: Mark Jackson; Malachy Stone, Eoin Murtagh, Karl Furlong; Tom Moran, Patrick O’Keane, Zach Cullen; Dean Healy (0-03), Pádraig O’Toole; Cillian McDonald (0-01), JP Hurley, Eoin Darcy (2-05, 0-5fs, 1-00 penalty); Jack Kirwan, Kevin Quinn, Mark Kenny (0-02).

Subs: Cian O’Sullivan (0-02, 0-02fs) for Quinn (27), Andy Maher for Furlong (44), Jacques McCall for Moran (55), Seán Murphy for McDonald (68), Arran Murphy for Kirwan (70+6).

Referee: Brendan Cawley (Kildare).