Sligo are within one game of Allianz Football League Division 4 promotion after a scrappy win over the home side at Netwatch Cullen Park on Saturday.

Irrespective of what happens in the meantime, beating Leitrim next week is all that is required. One would imagine they will need to bring an improved performance to Carrick-on-Shannon next week as two first half goals was key to the victory here.

Carlow got off to a solid start with captain Darragh Foley converting an early free and followed up with a point from play.

Sligo grew into the game and a quick passing movement released Sean Carrabine who drew a defender before placing his shot into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Carlow replied with points from Colm Hulton and Jamie Clarke but Sligo were growing stronger as the half progressed. Carrabine converted a free while Pat Spillane was also on the mark.

Just before half-time, the Carlow defence was opened up once more. While Ciaran Cunningham, the home keeper got a foot to the ball he couldn't prevent Niall Murphy’s shot crossing the line.

Having played against the wind, Sligo led 2-04 to 0-05 at the interval. The elements didn’t seem to bother Carlow in the second half. They worked the ball around the pitch but just couldn’t get in a killer blow.

Substitute Conor Doyle almost stole in for an early goal but, from a narrow angle, he had to settle for a point.

Spillane, Finnian Cawley and Carrabine kept the scoreboard ticking over for Sligo in the second period as they carved out the victory. With the game set to go into injury time, Eric Molloy broke clear for Carlow but his well-drilled shot flew just over the crossbar.

The movement in itself spoke volumes about the game. Sligo took almost every chance which came their way while you couldn’t say that about the home team on the day.

Meanwhile, in Lemybrien, Waterford beat fellow strugglers London 2-09 to 2-05 to lift themselves off the foot of the Division 4 table.

London grabbed the first goal through Christopher Farley before Waterford struck back almost immediately through Darragh Corcoran as the Exiles led 1-03 to 1-02 at the break.

Waterford hit the front in the 44th minute as Sean Whelan Barrett found the net and London's cause wasn't helped when James Gallagher was dismissed after picking up a second yellow card.

Farley struck again from the penalty spot but it was Waterford who prevailed.

Sligo: Daniel Lyons; Luke Nicholson, Eddie McGuinness, Evan Lyons; Luke Towey, Jack Lavin, Paul McNamara; Paul Kilcoyne, Pat Spillane (0-03); Cian Lally, Sean Carrabine (1-04, 2fs), David Quinn; Finnian Cawley (0-02), Patrick O’Connor, Niall Murphy (1-01, 0-01f).

Subs: Mark Walsh for Nicholson (h/t), Gerard O’Kelly Lynch for Quinn (49), Brian Cox for Lavin (61), Keelan Cawley for McNamara (64), D Conlan for Spillane (68),

Carlow: Ciaran Cunningham; Jonah Dunne, Mikey Bambrick, Shane Buggy; Seanie Bambrick, Jordan Morrissey, Shane Clarke; Niall Hickey, Finbarr Kavanagh; Josh Moore, Jamie Clarke (0-01), Darragh O’Brien; Colm Hulton (0-01), Darragh Foley (0-06, 5fs), Ross Dunphy (0-01).

Subs: Conor Doyle (0-01) for Brennan (h/t), Niall Hickey for Kavanagh (h/t), Mark Furey for Hickey (39), Eric Molloy (0-01) for Hulton (51), Cormac Lomax for Dunphy (64).

Referee: Barry Tiernan (Dublin).