What an Allianz Football League campaign this is turning into for Roscommon.

In front of their own supporters, Davy Burke's men upped the ante in the second half to stun Armagh in front of around 8,000 supporters at Dr Hyde Park.

With Jason Duffy hitting 0-04 from play, Armagh found scores easier to come by in the opening half, despite playing into a strong wind, to lead by 0-08 to 0-07 at the change of ends.

But, as they have done in all their games to date, Roscommon rallied after the break, and Enda Smith’s 51st-minute penalty proved to be the decisive score.

A cagey opening saw both teams intent on giving little away early on. After 20 minutes, Roscommon’s only two points had come from full-back Conor Daly.

Armagh, on the other hand, looked more dangerous going forward and two points from Duffy handed Kieran McGeeney’s men a narrow 0-03 to 0-02 lead after 16 minutes.

By the 27th minute, the visitors led by double scores, 0-06 to 0-03, thanks to another brace of scores from Duffy, the latter after the Armagh forward had run the length of the field following a blistering counter-attack.

Barry McCambridge scores a point under pressure

But Roscommon gained some traction with scores from Ciarán Lennon, Enda Smith and a free from Ciaráin Murtagh to restore parity before Armagh edged back in front through a brace from Rian O’Neill.

Robbie Dolan’s spectacular point on the stroke of half-time left Roscommon trailing by a point at the break.

The home side signalled their intent early in the new half with scores from Ben O’Carroll and Diarmuid Murtagh before Murtagh’s 42nd minute free left the Rossies 0-10 to 0-08 ahead.

Barry McCambridge pulled one back for Armagh but when O’Carroll was hauled down by the Armagh centre-back after great work by Keith Doyle, Smith held his nerve and directed his penalty to the corner of the net.

Armagh became more desperate as the game wore on, and some last-gasp Roscommon defending alongside some poor execution on Armagh’s part left the home side in control of their own destiny.

Andrew Murnin and Rory Grugan (free) did pull late scores back for the Orchard County but there was to be no heroic comeback as they had managed against Mayo two weeks ago.

Instead Roscommon, who lost Keith Doyle to a black card late on, bided their time with points from substitute Daire Cregg and O’Carroll, and Conor Cox was also denied by a superb save from Ethan Rafferty.

Conor Lane’s final whistle ignited a huge roar from the home crowd.

Roscommon: Conor Carroll; Conor Hussey, Conor Daly (0-02), David Murray; Robbie Dolan (0-01), Brian Stack, Niall Daly; Tadhg O'Rourke, Keith Doyle; Dylan Ruane, Enda Smith (1-01, 1-0 pen), Ciarán Lennon (0-01); Diarmuid Murtagh (0-03, 2f), Ben O’Carroll (0-02), Ciaráin Murtagh (0-01f).

Subs: Colin Walsh for Murray (ht), Richard Hughes for Hussey (46), Daire Cregg (0-01) for Diarmuid Murtagh (54), Conor Cox for Ciaráin Murtagh (65), Donie Smith for Lennonn (70).

Armagh: Ethan Rafferty; Aaron McKay, Aidan Forker, Paddy Burns; Conor O’Neill, Barry McCambridge (0-01), Jarly Óg Burns; Ciaran Mackin, Stefan Campbell; Jemar Hall, Rory Grugan (0-02, 2f), Tiernan Kelly; Rian O’Neill (0-04, 1 ’45, 1f) Andrew Murnin (0-01), Jason Duffy (0-04).

Subs: Conor Turbutt for Mackin (h-t), Callum Cumiskey for Kelly (55), Ross McQuillan for O’Neill (62), Justin Kieran for Hall (62), Niall Grimley for Duffy (69).

Referee: Conor Lane (Cork).