Maigh Cuilinn 0-13 Tourlestrane 0-06

Galway champions Maigh Cuilinn eased to their first Connacht SFC title with a convincing victory over Sligo's Tourlestrane at Pearse Stadium.

Maigh Cuilinn led by 0-04 to 0-03 at the break despite having played against the breeze and not scoring from play.

But four frees from as many attempts from captain Dessie Conneely was enough to give them the edge on a sunny winter's afternoon in Salthill.

Maigh Cuilinn will face the winners of the Ulster final between reigning champions Kilcoo and Watty Graham's Glen of Derry in the All-Ireland semi-finals.

It completes a great weekend for Galway clubs with Dunmore MacHales winning the Connacht intermediate crown and Clifden capturing the junior title.

Liam Gaughan of Tourlestrane kicks a point under pressure from Neil Mulcahy of Moycullen

Both teams played possession football but the Galway champions looked more threatening before the break and would have been much further ahead if they had taken a couple of good goal chances.

However, Tourlestrane goalkeeper Adam Broe did well to deny a fisted effort from Paul Kelly in the opening minute while Ger Davoren saw his shot after a good build-up come crashing back off the crossbar 11 minutes from the break.

Three times Tourlestrane, hoping to become only the second Sligo team to win the Connacht title, edged in front in the opening 16 minutes with John Kelly kicking two excellent points and Liam Gaughan also landing a fine effort, but each time Maigh Cuilinn hauled them back with Conneely frees.

Tourlestrane failed to score in the second quarter and built up five wides by the interval, the Galway champions going in front three minutes from the break when Conneely tapped over a 20 metre free.

Owen Gallagher and Gary Gaughan exchanged points in the opening six minutes of the second-half but then Maigh Cuilinn struck three in just over two minutes from Peter Cooke, Michéal O'Reilly and Paul Kelly to lead by 0-08 to 0-04 after 39 minutes.

Oisin Kennedy pulled back a point for Tourlestrane before Tom Clarke became Maigh Cuilinn's fifth scorer of the second half when he pointed to lead by 0-09 to 0-05 with 12 minutes remaining.

Cooke then landed a massive effort from 50 metres on the left for his second point of the game to leave them ahead by double scores in front of a crowd of almost 3,000, which was largely made up of Maigh Cuilinn fans.

Paul Kelly and Liam Gaughan exchanged points, while in between Tourestrane goalkeeper Broe denied Neil Mulcahy and at the other end his opposite number Andrew Power did well to save from Liam Gaughan as Maigh Cuilinn ran out convincing winners on a weekend when they also celebrated their second Galway minor title.

Maigh Cuilinn: Andrew Power; Conor Corcoran, Eoghan Kelly, Neil Mulcahy; Aidan Claffey (0-01), David Wynne, Tom Clarke (0-01); Ger Davoren, Paul Kelly (0-02); Seán Kelly, Niall Walsh, Peter Cooke (0-03); Michéal O'Reilly (0-01), Owen Gallagher (0-01), Dessie Conneely (0-04, 0-04f).

Substitute: Daniel Cox for Walsh (57), Evan Kenny for O'Reilly (61), Michael Moughan for Davoren (62).

Tourlestrane: Adam Broe; JP Lang, John Francis Carr, Barry Walsh; Oisin Kennedy (0-01), Adrian McIntyre, Noel Gaughan; Feidhlim O'Donnell, Conor Marren; James Leonard, John Kelly (0-02), Kenny Gavigan; Gary Gaughan (0-01), Cathal Henry, Liam Gaughan (0-02).

Substitutes: Niall Egan for Gavigan (44), Stephen Henry for O'Donnell (52), Rian Kennedy for Leonard (54), Kevin O'Hara for N Gaughan (56), Aidan Marren for Kennedy (58).

Referee: Jerome Henry (Mayo)