Strokestown 0-11 Boyle 0-10

Strokestown are the Roscommon senior football champions for the first time in 20 years after substitute Tony Lavin kicked a dramatic winning score in the fifth minute of injury-time.

A cagey final where there was so much at stake for both teams looked destined for extra-time when Donie Smith's monstrous free kick from 50 metres brought the sides level in the fourth minute of injury time.

But there was only final twist as Lavin popped up with the winner, after Strokestown worked the opportunity amid the tension, to spark scenes of wild celebrations among their supporters in the crowd of over 5,500.

The opening half was marred by what looked like serious injuries to Boyle’s Cian McKeon and Strokestown’s Paddy Brogan, which necessitated nine minutes of injury-time.

Donie Smith and Diarmuid McGann (free) swapped early scores before wing back Ciarán Regan ambled forward to give his side the lead.

But a hat-trick of points from Enda Smith, operating in the unusual position of wing-back, Cathal Feely, from a ’45, and Daire Cregg pushed Boyle 0-04 to 0-02 ahead. Keith Murphy reduced the arrears to one point before the injuries took the momentum from the game.

Cregg and Cathal Lavin exchanged scores before Donie Smith opened up a two-point gap after Tadhg McKenna cut out a Strokestown attack.

But frees from goalkeeper Niall Curley and Diarmuid McGann left the sides deadlocked at the break.

The tension was unbearable in the second half as both sides made too many mistakes, which was understandable given what was at stake.

Frees from Colin Goldrick and Smith edged Boyle 0-08 to 0-06 ahead but heading into the final quarter McGann (free) and Colin Compton restored parity once more.

A goal, which would have been decisive, never looked like coming. But Donie Smith, with his third point from play, pushed Boyle 0-09 to 0-08 ahead.

Then it was Strokestown’s turn to wrestle back the initiative as Compton and McGann, with a free that was moved forward for dissent, gave their side a 0-10 to 0-9 lead.

But the drama was only beginning as Smith thought he had forced extr- time, only for Lavin to ensure that Boyle’s wait for a first title since 1927 will continue for at least another year.

Strokestown: Niall Curley (0-01f); Timmy Gibbons, Seán Mullooly, David Neary, Ciarán Regan (0-01), Colm Neary, Cathal Brogan; David Butler, Cathal Compton; Keith Murphy (0-01), Diarmuid McGann (0-04f), Paddy Brogan; Shane McGinley, Colin Compton (0-02), Cathal Lavin (0-01).

Subs: Dylan Owens for Mullooly (bloob sub, 27) Mikey Kavanagh for Brogan (28), Michael Fallon for Murphy (56), Tony Lavin (0-01) for McGinley (62).

Boyle: Robert Kearney; Luke Glennon, Conor Flanagan, Daniel Casey; Killian Cox, Tadhg McKenna, Enda Smith (0-01); Roch Hanmore, Evan McGrath; Cathal Feely (0-01 '45), Seán Purcell, Dylan East; Daire Cregg (0-02), Donie Smith (0-05, 0-02f) Cian McKeon.

Subs: Eden Kerins for Purcell (blood sub, 5), Colin Goldrick (0-01f) for McKeon (19), Eden Kerins for Hanmore (44), Jack Moran for Flanagan (58), Mark O’Connor for Feely (60).

Referee: Ollie Kelly (St. Faithleach’s)