RTÉ GAA analyst Pat Spillane has branded the brawl between Armagh and Galway as "disgraceful" and "scandalous".

Neither side could be separated after a pulsating 70 minutes in the All-Ireland SFC quarter-final at Croke Park on Sunday with the game going to extra-time after a 1-17 to 2-14 draw.

But a brawl broke out between members of the panel from both sides by the sideline as they made their way towards the dressing rooms in unsavoury scenes which also saw Galway forward Damien Comer suffer an apparent eye-gouge.

Armagh's Aidan Nugent and Galway's Seán Kelly subsequently received red cards just before extra-time began.

We need your consent to load this YouTube contentWe use YouTube to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

Galway claimed a dramatic 4-1 penalty shootout victory after the teams could not be separated after extra-time.

Reacting to footage of the incidents before extra-time threw in on RTÉ's The Sunday Game Live, Spillane condemned the actions of those involved.

"We should be here praising a great game but we're looking at disgraceful scenes," he said.

"Shame on all the players involved. There was a gouging incident. This is terrible and it's a shame on all the players.

"We have so many rules and regulations here. There's a million rules and regulations and you send two teams running into the same spot straight after full-time. It's crazy and you have fellas who are not subs involved.

"The possible eye-gouging was done by a fella who's not on the official panel. That was disgraceful, scandalous and shame on all involved."

Former Armagh All-Ireland winner Oisin McConville echoed Spillane's sentiments.

"It's scenes that we shouldn't hide behind regardless of what county's involved," he said.

"People talk about unsavoury - it's not. It's disgusting. It's something that we just don't want to see, simple as that."