Cavan claimed a deserved win after upping their game in the second half and outgunning Leitrim in rugged contest in Carrick-on-Shannon, where only a point separated the sides at the interval. With a tricky wind and intermittent showers, playing conditions were difficult for both sides.

Leitrim opened brightly with Keith Beirne edging them ahead with points from a free and play by the sixth minute. In response Cavan got the score board ticking over when Paddy Lynch tapped over a free three minutes later. Another placed ball was sent over by free-taking goalkeeper, Raymond Galligan to put the Breifne Blues on level terms.

Cavan took the lead for the first time when Lynch shot his side's first point from play on the 18-minute mark. After this Cavan dominated the exchanges for the remainder of the game. Some ten minutes later they stretched their lead further when Galligan converted another free.

Galligan landed five frees for the eventual winners

A Darragh Rooney point point in the following minute kept Leitrim in the hunt. But Cavan continued to control the play thanks to winning the man-to-man exchanges and increased their advantage further with two more Galligan free conversions by the thirty-fourth minute.

Leitrim finished with a late first-half flourish and reduced the deficit to the minimum at the break (0-06 to 0-05) thanks to a Beirne free conversion and point whipped over by Darragh Rooney.

After the restart Cavan went further ahead when full-forward Lynch fired over a thirty fifth minute point. Leitrim hit back during a purple patch with points from Beirne (free) and Dean McGovern to level matters some three minutes later.

Following this Cavan found another gear and had a four point lead by the fifty-sixth minute minute with Galligan (free), Conor Smith, Cormac O'Reilly and Lynch all chipping in with a point each. Leitrim's Beirne hit his side's first score in twenty-two minutes when he converted a sixty-fifth minute free.

With Leitrim failing to score after that Cavan held out for the win, which was ensured deep in added time by the hard working Lynch who split the Leitrim posts before the final whistle.

Cavan: Raymond Galligan (0-5 (5f)); Jason McLoughlin, Padraig Faulkner, Killian Brady; Luke Faulkner, Killian Clarke, Oisin Kiernan; James Smith, Thomas Galligan; Oisin Brady, Chris Conroy, Conor Moynagh; Cormac O'Reilly (0-1), Paddy Lynch (0-05 (1f), Conor Madden.

Subs: Cian Madden for O. Brady (HT); Martin Reilly for Kiernan (40); Conor Smith (0-1) for O'Reilly (66); Niall Murray for Moynagh (75).

Leitrim: Brendan Flynn; Paddy Maguire, Mark Diffley, David Bruen; Cillian McGloin, Donal Casey, Jack Heslin; Donal Wrynn, Pearce Dolan; Mark Plunkett, Keith Beirne (0-5 (4f)), Darragh Roooney (0-2); Ryan O'Rourke, Dean McGovern (0-1), Riordan O'Rourke.

Subs: Domhnaill Flynn for McGovern & James Rooney for McGloin (46); Paul Kenaey for Dolan (52); Shane Quinn for Heslin (57); Tom Prior for D. Rooney (66).

Referee: Sean Lonergan (Tipperary).

Martin O'Connor of Wexford in action against Mikey Gordon of Sligo

Sean Carrabine scored half of Sligo's total as they made a great start to their Division 4 campaign with a 0-12 to 0-10 win over Wexford.

The Yeats County were behind for much of a very tight game at Chadwicks Wexford Park and had to recover from shipping the first three scores of the game.

Playing with a strong breeze in the first half the hosts took a one-point lead into the break. Ben Brosnan had two points in the opening 35 for the Yellowbellies, while three Carrabine frees kept the scoreboard ticking over for the visitors.

The sides were level on new fewer than four occasions in the second half, but Sligo came good when it counted. Carrabine put them ahead for just the second time as the game approached the 70-minute mark, before Niall Murphy kicked the insurance point in added time.

Tipperary fielded five debutants at Fraher Field as Ephie Fitzgerald managed Waterford for the first time in the Allianz League.

It was a tight, dogged affair in Dungarvan, the visitors led four times in the first half, but Waterford, led by Darragh Corcoran, were always able to respond to draw level as the sides went in at 0-06 apiece at the break.

The second half followed a slightly different pattern as the hosts led on two occasions, but they still needed late Dermot Ryan point to rescue a share of the spoils.

Conor Sweeney kicked 0-07 of the Premier County's total.