Tyrone and Monaghan finished level in a typical winter derby dogfight where the All-Ireland champions, not for the first time, were denied by the finishing skills of Conor McManus.

The former All-Star came off the bench to shoot a 64th-minute equaliser and it was enough to secure an opening-day point for his side and confirm a third draw from the weekend's schedule of four Division 1 ties.

It was the fifth time the sides had been level and a share of the spoils was no less than Monaghan deserved.

Tyrone started with ten of their All-Ireland final team and an impressive debutant in Nathan Donnelly, and in the end they were somewhat fortunate to see a string of shots from their opponents sail wide of the posts in the swirling wind.

This was a compelling, full-blooded encounter between two sides that committed fully and left everything on the field in front of a crowd of around 7,000.

Conor Shields provided the assist for Peter Harte’s opening point, with Kieran Duffy bringing the sides level as he finished off a patient move as they probed for openings against a fortified and well-organised defence.

The home side defended with discipline, frustrating their opponents with turnovers, blocks and tackles, breaking for Darren McCurry to win a free for Cathal McShane to convert.

Kieran Duffy has a shot on goal despite the efforts of Michael McKernan

Rory Beggan started and finished a Monaghan move, launching the attack with a perfect restart and converting the free that ensued.

But the energy of Conor Meyler and Niall Sludden had the Red Hands on the move again, with three scores on the spin, including a neat effort from debutant Nathan Donnelly.

A terrific battle between McShane, making his first Tyrone start in almost two years, and Conor Boyle went in favour of the Monaghan full-back in the initial stages, but Red Hand frontman grew into the game, linking with supporting runners and converting a couple of frees.

Dessie Ward and Ryan McAnespie probed from deep, and the Farneymen cut back the deficit to two through Shane Carey and Micheal Bannigan.

But it was Tyrone who held a slender two points lead at the interval, 0-06 to 0-04, after Sludden arrowed over a fine score.

Monaghan’s strong pre-season began to show as they pressed forward, shooting four points without reply to turn a three-point deficit into a one-point lead by the 50th minute.

And it was a point from play by their goalkeeper Beggan that gave them the lead for the first time, his run around the right flank picked out by Dessie Ward for an accomplished finish from 35 metres.

His opposite number Niall Morgan also added to the outfield numbers, carrying the ball beyond halfway to send Darren McCurry through for a point, but it was Monaghan who looked the most likely in that third quarter as Conor McCarthy and Ryan McAnespie found the target as space opened up.

The goalkeepers traded points from frees, and McCurry added another from a placed ball to regain the lead for the Red Hands.

Challenges fortified with steel and courage, particularly from a hard-pressed Tyrone defence, peppered the closing stages, and Monaghan missed a series of scoring chances with Conor Boyle, Ryan McAnespie, Dessie Ward, McManus and Beggan all shooting wide.

McManus finally did find the range to ease Seamus McEnaney’s side ahead, and Tyrone went down to 14 men when Footballer of the Year Kieran McGeary was sent off following a second booking.

Substitute Paul Donaghy kicked what looked to the be the winner in stoppage time, but the score was ruled out for Brian Kennedy’s challenge on goalkeeper Beggan.

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-01, f); M McKernan, P Hampsey, L Rafferty; C Meyler, F Burns, P Harte (0-01); C Kilpatrick, R Donnelly; K McGeary, N Sludden (0-02), N Donnelly (0-01); D McCurry (0-02, 1f), C McShane (0-02, 2f), C Shields.

Subs: B Kennedy for R Donnelly (47), D Canavan for Shields (47), M Donnelly for McCurry (61), P Donaghy for McShane (66)

Monaghan: R Beggan (0-03, 2f); G Mohan, C Boyle, R Wylie; K Duffy (0-01), D Ward, R McAnespie (0-01); N Kearns, D Hughes; C McCarthy (0-01), M Bannigan (0-01, f), S Carey (0-01); A Mulligan, J McCarron, A Woods.

Subs: K Lavelle for Kearns (ht), K O’Connell for Mulligan (46), D Garland for McCarron (55), C McManus (0-01) for Mohan (55)

Referee: J McQuillan (Cavan).