Galway advanced to the Connacht final with a deserved 2-11 to 0-12 triumph over Roscommon at Hyde Park.

But the big concern for manager Padraic Joyce ahead of that meeting with either Mayo or Leitrim will be a hamstring injury which threatened Shane Walsh's participation and which forced the Galway captain to go off in the closing stages

Heavy rain throughout the morning in Roscommon continued in periods through the game and made conditions very difficult.

It meant scoring chances were scarce in the opening quarter and the sides went into the first water break deadlocked at 0-02 apiece.

Corner-back Sean Kelly edged the Tribesmen in front after three minutes but this was cancelled by Diarmuid Murtagh after he was set up by his brother Ciaráin.

Damien Comer landed a superb effort from distance but Enda Smith cancelled that at the other end.

Roscommon kept plenty of men behind the ball but Galway found a way through when Paul Kelly finished to the net after a move instigated by his brother Sean with another Moycullen clubman Peter Cooke provided the key pass in between to set up the goal.

The Roscommon response was good with Conor Hussey and Conor Daly pointing and after Paul Kelly tacked on a point, corner-back Daly went forward for his second point and Donie Smith levelled the sides for the third time at 0-06 to 1-03 after 29 minutes.

Walsh pointed a free from 45 metres and after Enda Smith levelled Galway went in leading by 1-05 to 0-07 at the break when Mattie Tierney pointed a free from 20 metres on the right.

The sides exchanged points after the restart before Rob Finnerty and Tierney pushed Galway 1-8 to 0-8 in front after 49 minutes.

Cathal Cregg fisted a point for Roscommon after coming on but he was injured in the process and had to go off again.

Tierney kicked a free from the right and then Shane Walsh landed a free from his hands to take a four-point lead into the second water break.

Ciaráin Murtagh reduced the gap to a goal with after 58 minutes but Finnerty extended Galway’s lead seven minutes from time from the left after being set up by Walsh.

And it was a sublime pass from Walsh across the field which set Sean Kelly away and with Roscommon failing to clear their lines, Tierney pounced to drill the ball low into the bottom right corner of the net as they advanced to the Connacht final.

Galway: Connor Gleeson; Liam Silke, Sean Mulkerrin, Sean Kelly (0-01); Kieran Molloy, Dylan McHugh, Johnny Heaney; Paul Conroy, Mattie Tierney (1-03, 0-002f, 0-01 '45); Damien Comer (0-01), Peter Cooke, Finnian O Laoi; Rob Finnerty (0-02), Shane Walsh (0-02f), Paul Kelly (1-02).

Subs: Cathal Sweeney for O Laoi (61), Eamonn Brannigan for Walsh (67), Johnny Duane for P Kelly (67), Padraig Costello for Finnerty (70), Tom Flynn for Conroy (72).

Roscommon: Colm Lavin; Conor Daly (0-02), Brian Stack (0-01), David Murray; Conor Hussey (0-01), Niall Daly, Sean Mullooly; Enda Smith (0-03), Eddie Nolan; Niall Kilroy, Ciaráin Murtagh (0-01f), Shane Killoran; Conor Cox, Donie Smith (0-02, 0-01 '45), Diarmuid Murtagh (0-01).

Subs: Tadhg O’Rourke for Nolan (19), Cathal Cregg (0-01) for Killoran (41), Conor Devaney for Cregg (47), Cian McKeon for D Murtagh (51), Ultan Harney for Cox (55)

Referee: Joe McQuillan (Cavan).