Daniel Walsh scored 1-02 on his debut and Clare kicked off their season with an Allianz Football League win against Laois at Cusack Park.

This game was the second of a double-header in Ennis and Clare made amends after the narrow defeat for their hurlers.

Debutant Walsh found the net and Clare were 1-08 to 0-05 ahead at half-time.

Eoin Cleary did the rest, with a magnificent 0-10, en route to victory.

With the return of a couple of influential stars, including the Kingston brothers, Donal and Paul, Laois hoped for big things from 2021.

But they started slowly and fell behind, 0-03 to 0-00, here.

Clare were having to figure out life without Gary Brennan, yet their midfield performed admirably, and after points from Eoin Cleary and Keelan Sexton (mark), Cathal O'Connor pushed them further clear.

Donal Kingston was being marshalled well inside, but he got loose to register Laois’ first point in the eighth minute. That was cancelled out by youngster Walsh.

Evan O’Carroll found his range and after a few poor wides up the other end, Donal Kingston scored again to leave Laois 0-05 to 0-03 behind at the first water break.

When the game resumed Clare wrestled control, Cleary scored twice and then Walsh raced through to sidefoot his shot into the top corner of Niall Corbet’s goal.

The Laois goalkeeper kept his side in the game shortly after, when he saved well from Darragh Bohannon, but the resultant 45 was slotted again by Cleary.

Corbet scored an important free in the 29th minute to reduce the arrears, to 1-08 to 0-04.

Donal Kingston landed another free and Laois were back within two scores of Clare.

Both teams wasted chances coming up to half-time and Clare took that six-point lead into the break.

There was a similar start to the second half, with the teams trading wides.

It took five minutes for the opening point, Cleary scored another free, but then Paul Kingston hit back with his first point.

Half-time substitute David Tubridy and Walsh combined to move Clare eight points in front, and that lead looked unassailable.

Cleary’s seventh point was another awesome effort but then Laois substitutes Gary Walsh and Brian Byrne scored quickfire points.

Pearse Lillis snuffed out that comeback with his curled point.

Clare were 1-13 to 0-08 in front at the water break and there would be no comeback in the final quarter.

Colm Begley, Donie Kingston and Walsh scored late consolations but Cleary flashed a mesmerising sideline over the bar to bring his tally to double figures in a brilliant personal display.

Clare: Stephen Ryan; Ciaran Russell, Cillian Brennan, Eoghan Collins; Cillian O’Dea, Sean Collins, Daniel Walsh (1-02); Darren O’Neill, Cathal O’Connor (0-01); Pearse Lillis (0-01), Eoin Cleary (0-10, 0-05f, 0-01 45, 0-01mark, 0-1sl), Darragh Bohannon; Gavin Cooney, Keelan Sexton (0-01, 0-01mark), Jamie Malone.

Substitutes: Joe McGann for Malone (4, inj), David Tubridy (0-01) for Sexton (half-time), Emmet McMahon for O’Neill (54), Alan Sweeney for E Collins (54), Aaron Griffin for Cooney (64), Ikem Uguraru for O’Dea (66), Cormac Murray for Lillis (66).

Laois: Niall Corbet (0-01, 0-01f); Robert Pigott, Mark Timmons, Gareth Dillon; Trevor Collins, Colm Begley (0-01), Patrick O’Sullivan; Kieran Lillis, John O’Loughlin; Eoin Lowry, Paul Kingston (0-01), Daniel O’Reilly; Mark Barry, Donal Kingston (0-04, 0-02f), Evan O’Carroll (0-01, 0-01mark).

Substitutes: Gary Walsh (0-03, 0-01f) for O’Reilly (half-time), Brian Byrne (0-01) for Lowry (46), Brian Daly for Lillis (54), Michael Keogh for Barry (54), Eoin Buggie for Collins (62), Shane Bolger for Timmons (66), Ross Munnelly for P Kingston (66).

Referee: Sean Lonergan (Tipperary).