Donegal overcame 14-man Tyrone in a thrilling Allianz Football League tie at Healy Park.

Six Michael Murphy points and four from Paddy McBrearty did the trick for Declan Bonner's men.

The Red Hands lost defender Michael O’Neill, departed on a second booking, at the start of the second half, and were always chasing the game thereafter.

New boy Paul Donaghy finished with an impressive 10-points haul for a Red Hand side making a losing start under new managers Feargal Logan and Brian Dooher.

Murphy, drifting between midfield and the front line, got Donegal off the mark, before debutant Donaghy levelled from a free.

Both sides adopted a refreshingly positive approach, no sign of the packed defences that they have come to be identified with, and space began to open up.

McKenna’s quick hands sent wing-back Michael O’Neill in to pop over a point, cancelled out within seconds by Paddy McBrearty to set the tone for a first half that was to be level on seven occasions.

McKenna couldn’t believe the amount of space he found to get in for a shot at goal, which was parried by the advancing Shaun Patton.

Murphy’s second had them level at 0-04 each by the water break, after Donaghy had slotted over his second, this one from play.

With Michael Langan and Hugh McFadden getting on top at midfield, Declan Bonner’s side opened up a three-point lead through Niall O’Donnell, but the dash and drive of Kieran McGeary and Conor Meyler helped the Red Hands get back on top, with a couple of Donaghy frees bringing them level again.

Patton’s accurate kick-outs proved the platform for Donegal offensives, but Padraig Hampsey and Rory Brennan were alert to the threat, until McBrearty angled over a delightful score to regain the lead for his side in stoppage time.

But another fine Donaghy effort sent them in deadlocked on 0-10 each.

Tyrone were reduced to 14 men five minutes into the second half as defender Michael O’Neill picked up a second booking, and goalkeeper Patton cashed in with extra targets for his pinpoint restarts.

Jamie Brennan’s second pushed the visitors back in front, and the attempts of a fragmented Tyrone to strike back were hampered by poor finishing.

Two McBrearty frees helped Donegal to a three points advantage by the second drinks break, and they pushed further ahead through Caolan McGonagle.

The Red Hands were lacking in ideas and in penetration, but did keep in touch through Donaghy’s place-kicking quality.

And the Tyrone new boy fired over three magnificent points from play to leave the game hanging in the balance.

But it was decided by that man Murphy, still with the energy to burst through for an inspirational late score.

Tyrone: N Morgan (0-01, ’45); R Brennan, R McNamee, P Hampsey; M Cassidy, P Harte, M O’Neill (0-01); F Burns, B Kennedy; P Donaghy (0-10, 5f, 1 ’45), M Donnelly, C Meyler (0-01); K McGeary (0-01); C McKenna (0-01), R Donnelly

Subs: M McKernan for McNamee (10), C Munroe for Kennedy (h-t), M Bradley (0-01) for R Donnelly (42), N Sludden for Cassidy (58), D Canavan for McGeary (68)

Donegal: S Patton; C Ward, N McGee, B McCole; R McHugh, P Brennan, P Mogan (0-01); H McFadden, C McGonagle (0-01); N O’Donnell (0-01), C Thompson (0-02), M Langan (0-01); P McBrearty (0-04, 2f), M Murphy (0-06, 3f), J Brennan (0-02)

Subs: D O Baoill for McFadden (h-t), E McHugh for Ward (44), O Gallen for J Brennan (63), A McClean for P Brennan (64), E O’Donnell for Langan (68), E Doherty for O’Donnell (74)

Referee: J McQuillan (Cavan)