Second-half goals from Kevin Flynn and Jimmy Hyland helped Jack O'Connor’s Kildare to a winning start in the Allianz Football League in Thurles today.

Cork started well and scored the first three points of the game but Kildare enjoyed a long period of dominance between the 30th and 65th minutes when they outscored Cork by 2-09 to 0-04, and that proved decisive in the end.

Cork’s full-forward line – John O’Rourke, Brian Hurley and Cathail O’Mahony – scored early on and they led 0-04 to 0-03 going into the water break and, if anything, should have been further ahead.

Kildare’s hard work around the field gradually got them back in the game but they lost the services of Daniel Flynn, who had scored two superb points, to a hamstring injury on the half-hour mark.

Rather than the loss of Flynn hurting Kildare, it seemed to bring even more from them and his replacement, namesake Neil, put Kildare ahead for the first time with the last kick of the half from a magnificent free from fully 50 metres or more, 0-07 to 0-06.

Sensing their opportunity, Kildare kept the pressure on in the second half.

Paul Cribbin’s second point of the game made it 0-11 to 0-08 in the 59th minute and from the kick-out, Kildare won possession and worked the ball to Kevin Flynn who calmly finished the back of the Cork net.

Cork almost replied instantly, but Ian Maguire’s effort only clipped the bar on the way over after beating Donnellan to a high ball.

It was be Kildare’s day though, and Jimmy Hyland made sure of that when he found the net in the 60th minute for his first senior goal for Kildare after some brilliant work in the build-up by Aaron Masterson and Darragh Kirwan.

Kildare led 2-12 to 0-09 at that point, and although Cork rallied to score the last five points of the game, they also had Brian Hartnett dismissed for a straight red card following an off-the-ball altercation with Masterson.

Kildare: Mark Donnellan; Mark Dempsey, Mick O’Grady, Eoin Doyle; Kevin Flynn (1-00), David Hyland, Ryan Houlihan; Luke Flynn (0-01), Aaron Masterson; Alex Beirne, Daniel Flynn (0-02), Paul Cribbin (0-02); Jimmy Hyland (1-02, 1f, 1m), Kevin Feely, Darragh Kirwan (0-02).

Subs: Neil Flynn (0-03, 2fs, 1’45) for D Flynn (30), Con Kavanagh for Houlihan (52), Fergal Conway for L Flynn (54), Conor Hartley for Beirne (54), Shane O’Sullivan for J Hyland (66), Brian McLoughlin for Kirwan (71).

Cork: Mícheál Martin; Daniel O’Mahony, Sean Meehan, Kevin Flahive; Paul Walsh, Sean Powter, Mattie Taylor; Ian Maguire (0-02), Kevin O’Driscoll (0-01); Colm O’Callaghan, Sean White, Ruairi Deane; John O’Rourke (0-02), Brian Hurley (0-02fs), Cathail O’Mahony (0-06, 5fs).

Subs: Brian Hartnett for O’Callaghan (h/t), Dan Dineen for Hurley (39), Kevin O’Donovan for Powter (59), Ciaran Sheehan (0-01) for O’Driscoll (59), Blake Murphy for Deane (63), Tadhg Corkery for Maguire (67).

Referee: Maurice Deegan (Laois).