Portlaoise (Laois) 1-11 St Patrick's (Wicklow) 2-08 (AET) * Portlaoise win 5-4 on penalties

Craig Rogers was the Portlaoise hero at the end of a marathon AIB Leinster club SFC quarter-final tie that went all the way to penalties in Aughrim.

Level after normal time and extra-time, spot kicks were ultimately required to separate the sides with seven-time Leinster champions Portlaoise eventually edging it, 5-4.

They scored all five of their penalties, taken by Conor Boyle, Ricky Maher, Ronan McEvoy, Graham Brody and finally Rogers, while St Pat's converted only four out of their five.

Thomas Kelly was the unfortunate Pat's player to miss, blazing the ball over the bar in what was the first kick of the contest and the only miss.

It means Portlaoise are through to a 24 November semi-final clash with Eire Og of Carlow though the loss is tough on Pat's who led for much of the game.

It took a Kieran Lillis point for Portlaoise in the third minute of injury-time to force extra-time and while Lillis added a goal in extra-time, Matthew Traynor eventually levelled it up for Pat's, prompting the penalty shoot-out.

It was Portlaoise's 12th time to enter the provincial club championship in the last 13 seasons and they hinted initially at a much smoother afternoon.

The 2015 Leinster finalists appeared to be on comfortable ground initially when they hit points from Ricky Maher and Conor Boyle in the opening five minutes.

But they were rocked by an eighth minute Stephen Duffy goal for the hosts and only added another three points in the half as Pat's brought all their character and quality to bear.

Duffy's goal was a poacher's strike as he initially touched the ball down to himself and then doubled on it with a soccer style finish off his left foot that nestled in the corner of Portlaoise's net.

Benny Carroll responded with a Portlaoise point to tie it up at 0-03 to 1-00 but Pat's were growing in confidence now and began to weave some impressive attacking moves.

They took the lead for the first time in the 12th minute when Traynor boomed over a long range score.

The industrious Traynor then played in John Crowe for a fine score to leave the 14-time Wicklow champions sitting pretty with a 1-02 to 0-03 lead.

They retained that two point advantage at the end of a keenly contested half which was closed out by a Kelly point, his second for Pat's, to leave it 1-04 to 0-05.

Portlaoise sought a strong restart to wrestle back the momentum and veteran Brian McCormack won and converted a free but they also booted three wides and McCormack himself fumbled a ball with a score at his mercy.

The experienced former county man was then black carded in the 47th minute and with two points still between the teams, Portlaoise had it all to do.

One of their responses to the sticky situation was to draft in star man Brody who performed a useful sweeper 'keeper role, operating as an auxiliary defender.

He had a chance to level the game in the 59th minute but dropped a long range free into the 'keeper's arms.

It was in line with a series of Portlaoise misses with David Holland and sub Paul Cahillane both blasting goal chances wide.

St Pat's retained a one-point advantage but were eventually reeled in when Lillis boomed over his second point of the day in the 63rd minute to force extra-time at 0-09 to 1-06.

Paul O'Brien struck a second goal for St Pat's in the first-half of extra-time but it was cancelled out by that Lillis major after the restart.

That led to penalties Thomas Kelly's mistake led to Craig Rogers putting Portlaoise through. 

Portlaoise: Michael Nolan; Frank Flanagan, David Seale, David Holland; Paddy Downey, Brian Mulligan, Chris Finn; Kieran Lillis (1-02), Ciaran McEvoy; Brian Glynn, Conor Boyle (0-02), Gareth Dillon; Brian McCormack (0-02, 0-02f), Benny Carroll (0-02, 0-01f), Ricky Maher (0-01).

Penalty scorers (5): Conor Boyle, Ricky Maher, Ronan McEvoy, Graham Brody, Craig Rogers.

Subs: Graham Brody for Nolan (41), Damon Larkin for Glynn (41), Ronan McEvoy (0-01) for McCormack (47, black card), Paul Cahillane (0-01) for Maher (50), Craig Rogers for Downey (60). Maher for Cahillane (68), John Kavanagh for Carroll (68).

St Pat's: Shane Doyle; Shane Murley, Niall Donnelly, Wayne Doyle; Patrick O'Keane, Conor Ffrench, Ciaran Doyle; John Crowe (0-01), Dean Healy (0-01); Paul O'Brien (1-00), Patrick McWalter, Bryan Doyle (0-01); Matthew Traynor (0-02), Stephen Duffy (1-01), Thomas Kelly (0-02, 0-01f).

Penalty scorers (4): Jonathan Delahunt, Padraig Higgins, Patrick McWalter, Stephen Duffy.

Subs: Ciaran McGettigan for Duffy (56), Jonathan Delahunt for McWalter (60). Duffy for Bryan Doyle (e/t), Padraig Higgins  for Ciaran Doyle (68). Luca Rampersaud for O'Brien (78).

Referee: John Hickey (Carlow).