Dublin 4-18 Laois 0-17

Dublin defeated Laois to claim their first ever Leinster Under-20 Championship, with Tom Grey's side producing a near-perfect performance to seal the victory.

This was a one-sided affair in what were poor conditions for football in O’Connor Park, Tullamore and both sides went out to attack and take the game to their opponents, although Dublin were by far the better side throughout the match.

Laois have had a very positive campaign, defeating Kildare, Westmeath and Meath on route to the final, although this was a step too far. Dublin were simply far too strong for Billy O’Loughlin’s charges.

Dublin scored the opening four points of the game to give themselves an early lead, with Karl Lynch Bissett, Sean Lambe, Ross McGarry and Ciaran Archer finding the target, before Diarmuid Whelan opened Laois’s account.

Michael Doran and Archer then traded scores, before Laois registered four successive points to give themselves the lead for the first time in the game.

Dublin responded with four of their own however and had built up a 0-9 to 0-6 point lead, when Archer found the net for the games first goal in the 24th minute, after a poor kickout from the Laois goalkeeper and they held a 1-11 to 0-8 point lead at the interval.

Dublin were completely dominant after the interval and he victors second goal came in the 42nd minute courtesy of Ciaran Archer, after Ross McGarry’s shot was saved and they had a third goal seven minutes later, when Kieran Kennedy’s beat Laois goalkeeper Matthew Byron.

Dublin's Seán Lambe in action against Dan McCormack of Laois

Laois were then reduced to 14 men in the 52nd minute, when wing-back Colin Slevin was shown a straight red card by the referee and O’Loughlin’s side had only pride to play for at this juncture.

Dublin were then awarded a penalty when Peadar O’Cofaigh Byrne was fouled by Eoin Dunne and Archer sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from the resulting spot kick to complete his hat-trick.

Grey’s side finished the game with 14 men when O’Cofaigh Byrne was shown a black card in the sixth minute of stoppage time.

Dublin eased to a comfortable 13-point victory and will face Connacht champions Galway in the semi-final, while Laois’s season is over following this defeat.

Dublin: David O'Hanlon; Darren Maher, Daire Newcome, Eoin O’Dea; Kieran Kennedy (1-0), Neil Matthews, Sean Lambe (0-1); Peadar O Cofaigh Byrne, Donal Ryan; Niall O’Leary  (0-1), Karl Lynch Bissett (0-1), James Doran (0-3); Brian O’Leary (0-2), Ciaran Archer (3-8, 0-7f, 1-0 pen), Ross McGarry (0-2, 0-1f).

Subs: David Lacey for Ryan (43), Harry Ladd for B O’Leary (55), Aaron Lynch for Maher (55), Conor Kinsella for O’Dea (57) Mark Lavin for N O’Leary (60), Sean Foran for Kennedy (60).

Laois: Matthew Byron; Michael Dowling, Seamus Lacey, Alex Mohan; Colin Slevin, Sean O’Flynn, Dean Brophy; Robert Tyrell, Eoin Dunne (0-1); Mark Barry (0-2, 0-1f), Michael Doran (0-1), Ronan Coffey (0-1); Alan Kinsella (0-2), Dan McCormack, Diarmuid Whelan (0-8, 0-6f).

Subs: Jack Owens (0-1) for Doran (36), Niall Dunne (0-1) for McCormack (38), Jason Maher for Coffee (48), Kevin Byrne for Lacey (55), Ross Brennan for Brophy (58), Jack Lacey for Mohan (58).