Armagh remained in the hunt for a Dr McKenna Cup semi-final spot with a 2-11 to 0-14 victory over St Mary’s in dreadful conditions at the Athletic Grounds.

Gavin McParland grabbed both the Orchard goals as Kieran McGeeney’s side fought back to win by three points.

The students raced into a 0-4 to 0-1 lead early on, with Ryan Johnston, Tommy Canavan and Jack Grugan on target.

They had opened out a 0-7 to 0-4 advantage by the time McParland slotted a penalty to the net in the 25th minute. Grugan and Canavan added further points to give St Mary’s a 0-11 to 1-05 interval lead.

And they stretched the advantage with two more from Canavan, before Jamie Clarke started to work his magic with a couple of scores.

McParland’s second goal broke the Ranchers’ resistance, and points from Declan McKenna, Sean Connell and Eugene McVerry sealed it for the Orchard.

Armagh’s win will almost certainly ensure them a semi-final place as best runner-up, and a second clash in the competition with Tyrone, who are fancied to win Group C.

Meanwhile, Down kept their title hopes alive in Group A by beating UUJ by 1-13 to 1-07.

The Mourne men got off to a dream start with an early Conor Laverty goal, and with Paul Devlin on the mark with placed balls, they led by 1-03 to 0-02 after the opening quarter.

Mayo star Cillian O’Connor kept the Jordanstown side in touch with a neat point, but Danny McKay and Devlin eased the home side into a 1-05 to 0-03 interval lead.

Down started the second half briskly with scores from Donal O’Hare and Peter Fitzpatrick, and moved seven points clear with a Niall Madine effort.

But UUJ hit back with a Niall McKeever goal to ensure a nervy finish as a storm whipped up in the Marshes.

Down held firm in the closing stages; late scores from Cathal Crilly and O’Hare giving them a six-point winning margin.

The remaining four ties were postponed due to adverse weather conditions, after heavy snow fell at Ballybofey, Owenbeg, Healy Park and Breffni Park.

All four have been re-fixed for Sunday, with the semi-finals pushed back to next Wednesday evening.

Donegal’s clash with Fermanagh has been switched from MacCumhaill Park to Letterkenny, holders Tyrone will face Antrim at Omagh and Derry will take on QUB at Owenbeg, while Cavan’s clash with Monaghan goes ahead at Kingspan Breffni Park.

The final will go ahead as scheduled on Saturday 24 January.