Aughawillan (Leitrim) 0-06 Corofin (Galway) 7-20 

Galway Senior Football champions Corofin cruised through to this year’s AIB Connacht GAA Club Senior Football final as they annihilated their Leitrim counterparts Aughawillan 7-20 to 0-06 at Páirc Sean Mac Diarmada in Carrick-on-Shannon. 

A hat-trick of goals from Michael Lundy, two from corner forward Martin Farragher and one apiece from Ian Burke and substitute Joe Canney propelled Corofin towards a Connacht decider against Ballintubber as they breezed by a clearly overwhelmed Aughawillan side. 

A much stronger and more decisive Corofin outfit enjoyed the better of the opening period, but not before Aughawillan moved into an early lead.

Indeed, the Leitrim champions had goalkeeper Colin Maguire to thank with less than two minutes played as he pulled off a superb save from a close-range shot from the right boot of Dylan Wall.

Ciaran Gilheany’s opening point was cancelled out by points from Wall, Michael Lundy and Gary Sice as Corofin moved into a two-point lead with five minutes played. The away side were beginning to take the sting out of any early Aughawillan impetus.

Ciaran Gilheany cut the lead to one point on 11 before white flags from Burke and Wall followed.

Quick fire scores from Ronan Steede, Sice, Farragher and Greg Higgins sucker punched Aughawillan as Stephen Rochford's team led 0-09 to 0-03 with ten minutes of the opening half remaining. 

Wall spun by the challenge of Aughawillan's Gerard McGovern before slotting over for one of the points of the game on 27.

Another Sice score completed the first-half scoring for the Galway side as they lead by 0-11 to 0-03 at the break.

Corofin began the second half with more dominance as they went about pulling Aughawillan apart with their quick, decisive game and excellent movement during a half in which the umpires were forced to raise the green flag a total of seven times for the Galway club.

Farragher got the scoring under way as he neatly finished the ball beyond Maguire from ten yards.

Two Steede points in quick succession followed as the Galway side lead 1-13 to 0-03 with 40 minutes played.

Sean Pierson's troops gave themselves something to work on with points from Gilheany and Sean Flanagan.

But Corofin began to turn the screw as they hit Aughawillan with wave after wave of attack, the away side seeming to score every time they ventured forward.

Corofin netted four goals during a hectic eight minutes as a final spot was all but confirmed.

Farragher, Burke and a Lundy double doing the damage as the Galway men strolled through a brittle Aughawillan back line.

Corofin were now leading 5-16 to 0-05 with 13 minutes remaining.

Lundy netted once more, before substitute Canney then got in on the act with four minutes remaining as he walked through the Aughawillan defence to complete the rout.

Corofin will now play Ballintubber in this year's Connacht Club Football Championship final.

Aughawillan: Colin Maguire; Declan McGovern, Michael Quinn, Gerard McGovern; Niall Beirne, Noel Plunkett (Ryan Creamer 48), Sean Quinn; Sean Fox, Sean Flanagan; Rory McTague (Stephen Gilheany 38), Mark Plunkett, Pierce Dolan (for Gary Deane 57); Ciaran Gilheany, Gary Plunkett (Fergal McTague 57), Morgan Quinn (Kevin McTague 52).

Corofin: Thomas Healy; Michael Comer, (Con Cunningham 9), Kieran Fitzgerald (Padraic Kelly 50), Cathal Silke (Aineis Lawless 51); Ciaran McGrath, Alan Burke, Liam Silke; Daithi Burke (Joe Canney 46), Ronan Steede; Gary Sice, Dylan Wall (Barry O'Donovan), Micahel Lundy; Martin Farragher (Alan O'Donovan 46), Greg Higgins, Ian Burke.

Referee: Jerome Henry (Mayo)