Omagh (Tyrone) 2-08 Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) 1-09

Omagh created a major upset with a 2-08 to 1-09 Ulster Club SFC victory over Crossmaglen at Healy Park.

Ronan O’Neill hit an early goal, but Crossmaglen strode ahead with scores from Jamie Clarke and Tony Kernan, before Padraig Stuttard netted to give them a 1-08 to 1-02 interval lead.

Cross finished with 13 men after Callum Cumiskey and Tony Kernan were sent off, before a Barry Tierney goal secured the win for the Tyrone champions.

Crossmaglen led by seven points at one stage but they were unable to hold out in the face of the late Omagh surge.

The Armagh side have not encountered a serious test in the county championship and were robbed of key man Aaron Kernan due to a vomiting bug that affected the camp, and they got off to a flying start with points from Jamie Clarke, Tony Kernan and Kyle Brennan.

But Omagh struck for a seventh-minute goal, Ronan O’Neill sprinting past marker James Morgan to plant the ball past Paul Hearty.

Wind-assisted Cross, however, were bossing the midfield area, with Johnny Hanratty and Rico Kelly getting the better of Joe McMahon and Conan Grugan.

And their support play and kick passing were of the highest order, in contrast to Omagh’s tendency to concede possession cheaply.

Kernan’s third converted free made it 0-07 to 1-01 after 17 minutes, and they were denied a goal by Ryan Clarke’s superb save from Johnny Murtagh.

Omagh had a goal chance as well, but Conor O’Donnell was unable to stretch for Barry Tierney’s cross to the far post.

The Armagh men did get the goal they had threatened in the 29th minute, corner back Stephen Finnegan making ground to set up Padraig Stuttard, and he smashed the ball past Clarke.

Crossmaglen led by 1-08 to 1-02 at the break, but managed just one point in the second half as their challenge fell apart with the dismissals of Callum Cumiskey (yellow/black) and Tony Kernan (straight red).

Omagh had narrowed back the deficit with scores from O’Neill and O’Donnell, with Conan Grugan landing a long-rage effort to leave just a point between the sides.

It was Grugan, along with Joe McMahon, swung the midfield battle in the home side’s favour, and he hit the target again to bring Omagh level with five minutes to play.

Crossmaglen had just 13 men on the field by this stage, and they were unable to stem the waves of white shirts that swept towards them. And two late Ronan O’Neill points sealed it for the St Enda’s.

Omagh: R Clarke, H Gallagher, Justin McMahon, S Mullan, C McLaughlin, B Tierney (1-00), C McMahon, Joe McMahon, C Grugan (0-02, 2f), A Grugan, J McAnulla (0-01), C McCarron, C O’Donnell (0-01), R O’Neill (1-04 (0-1f), C Meyler.

Subs: C O’Neill for McCarron (h-t), J Colton for C McMahon ((56), D Kerr for McLaughlin  (60).

Crossmaglen: P Hearty, S Finnegan, J Morgan, P Hughes, P Stuttard (1-00), P McKeown, M Aherne (0-01), J Hanratty, R Kelly, T Kernan (0-03, 3f), J Clarke (0-02, 1f)), M McNamee, K Carragher, C Cumiskey, K Brennan (0-02).

Subs: J Murtagh (0-01) for Carragher (5), D McKenna for Brennan (43), A Kernan for Finnegan (48), A Cunningham for Hanratty (59).

Referee: C Branagan (Down).