Cillian O'Connor top-scored with 2-05 as Mayo claimed a 4-18 to 0-08 win over New York in the opening game of the Connacht Football Championship.

The visitors led by 0-11 to 0-02 at half-time with O'Connor firing three first-half points, but Mayo really exerted full control on the restart.

O'Connor's brother Diarmuid fired Mayo's first goal inside 15 seconds of the restart.

New York tried hard with points from Jason Kelly, Johnny McGeeney, Alan Raferty, Ross Wherity and Gary O'Driscoll in the second half.

However, a brace of Cillian O'Connor penalty goals, couplled with a late goal from substitute Enda Varley in injury-time ensured a 22-point win.

Fielding 11 of the side which started last year's All-Ireland final, Mayo never trailed in this game and led by 0-03 to 0-00 after four and a half minutes, with Donal Vaughan, Kevin McLoughlin and Andy Moran claiming their early scores.

New York worked hard with Laois native Brendan Quigley and Galway's Alan Raftery try hard to exert some dominance at midfield.

Quigley fired New York's opening point in the sixth minute, in a spell which saw New York outscore Mayo by 0-02 to 0-01 in a two-minute spell, with Offaly's Jason Kelly adding their second score.

Kelly's effort cut the gap to two points, but this was New York's final score of the half, as Mayo took control.

A Jason Gibbons point saw Mayo move 0-06 to 0-02 ahead after 15 minutes, with five of Mayo's six first quarter scores coming from play.

New York's defence was under constant threat, but goalkeeper Gavin Joyce pulled off a fine save at the start of the second quarter, however at the opposite end Kelly fired the hosts third wide.

Quick-fire scores from Cillian O'Connor and McLaughlin, and a further point from Andy Moran ensured a 0-09 to 0-02 lead after 23 minutes, but Mayo failed to score again for another 10 minutes as defences got on top.

New York worked hard at the back during this spell with Ronan McGinley, Keith Scally, Denis O'Sullivan and keeper Joyce trying their utmost.

O'Sullivan put in a superb block on an Aidan O'Shea scoring effort, but New York failed to capitalise.

Mayo were also guilty of poor shooting during this period, with three of their six wides amassed in an eight-minute spell.

The scoring deadlock was broken by Lee Keegan in the 33rd minute, with a further score from Cillian O'Connor ensuring a 0-11 to 0-02 lead at the break.

Both managements rang the changes at half-time, with Conor McCormack replacing Kieran O'Connor in the New York defence, while Richie Feeney replaced Jason Doherty for Mayo.

Mayo were fully alert after the break as within 15 seconds of the restart, debutant Diarmuid O'Connor bagged the opening goal.

O'Connor's goal saw Mayo take a 12-point advantage, with a point from his brother Cillian further extending the Mayo lead soon-after.

In the 41st minute, Armagh native Johnny McGeeney registered New York's opening point of the half, and the hosts first score since the seventh minute.

The introduction of Tom Parsons, Alan Dillon and Conor O'Shea added greatly to the Mayo attack during the second half.

Dillon in his first appearance since last year's All-Ireland final cut through for a 56th minute goal chance after Enda Varley provided the assist.

New York's Kieran O'Connor cut in, to make a well placed block, but this infringement came in the penalty area, with referee Padraig O'Sullivan handing Mayo a chance to take a second goal.

Cillian O'Connor subsequently sent the ball to the right of New York keeper Gavin Joyce.

New York hit back with a Jason Kelly pointed free, but Mayo bagged 1-01 inside a minute, all from the boot of corner-forward O'Connor.

Gary O'Driscoll fired New York's eighth point, four and a half minutes from the end, but Mayo bagged an unanswered 1-02 including an injury-time goal from substitute Enda Varley to ensure 22-point win.

MAYO: R Hennelly; T Cunniffe, K Keane, K Higgins; L Keegan (0-01), C Boyle, D Vaughan (0-02); J Gibbons (0-01), A O'Shea (0-02); D O'Connor (1-00), S O'Shea, J Doherty; K McLoughlin (0-02), A Moran (0-03), C O'Connor (2-05, 2-00pen, 0-03f).

Subs: E Varley (1-01) for McLoughlin (35); R Feeney for Doherty (HT); T Parsons for Gibbons (42); A Dillon for D O'Connor (44); C O'Shea for Moran (54); B Harrison for Higgins (58); D Coen (0-01) for C O'Connor (68).

NEW YORK: G Joyce; R McGinley, G McCartan, K O'Connor; K Scally, P O'Connor, D O'Sullivan; B Quigley (0-01), A Raftery (0-01); P Boyle, J Kelly (0-03, 3F), R Wherity (0-01); J McGeeney (0-01), K Quinn, G O'Driscoll.

Subs: C McCormack for K O'Connor (HT); N Farrell for Boyle (39); L Maguire for Farrell (62); J Huvane for O'Sullivan (66).

REFEREE: Pauric O Sullivan (Kerry)