Down proved too strong for 14-man Fermanagh at Brewster Park, where they moved into the Ulster SFC last four with a 1-08 to 2-10 win.

Fermanagh attacker Daryl Keenan was shown a straight red card after just eight minutes, and Down took control, with Donal O'Hare's 21st minute goal helping them to a 1-6 to 0-3 interval lead.

Damien Kelly gave Fermanagh hope with a goal, but Conor Laverty's goal sealed it for Down as they moved on to a semi-final clash with Monaghan.

Down never looked like losing this one, but James McCartan will be somewhat disappointed that they failed to drive home the advantage in a more convincing manner.

In front of a crowd of 12,435, Keenan’s dismissal scuppered the Erne challenge before it even had time to spark to life.

Down struggled to make an impact themselves, and it wasn’t until the 12th minute that O’Hare angled over their opening score.

The Lakelanders were level four minutes later when Daniel Kille steered over a 40-metre free, but they needed a superb Ronan Gallagher save to deny Aiden Brannigan, after he had been sent clear by O’Hare.

It was O’Hare who displayed predatory instincts to latch onto a loose ball and slot to the net from close range in the 21st minute.

The floodgates opened, and a string of points followed as James McCartan’s side established total control.

Full back Brendan McArdle made a handful of charges into opposition territory, one of which was rewarded with a tidy point.

Ambrose Rogers also sliced over a long-range gem as the Mourne men went eight clear.

Damian Kelly and Kille pulled back points for Fermanagh, but at the break they faced a 1-6 to 0-3 deficit.

They were right back in it when Damian Kelly appeared unmarked in acres of space to collect Eamon Maguire’s quickly taken free kick to beat ‘keeper Brendan McVeigh with a low shot in the 46th minute.

Down responded with points from Daniel McCartan and substitute Kevin Duffin, and killed the game off with Conor Maginn’s 57th-minute goal. The corner forward wriggled his way past goalkeeper Gallagher and two defenders to roll the ball into an empty net and effectively put an end to Fermanagh’s brave challenge.

Darren O’Hagan became the third member of Down’s full-back line to score, and while Fermanagh tagged on late points from substitute Seamus Quigley (2) and Tomas Corrigan, it was merely damage limitation for them at that stage

Fermanagh scorers: Damian Kelly 1-1, Daniel Kille 0-3 (2f), S Quigley 0-2 (2f), T Corrigan, P Ward 0-1 each.

Down scorers: D O’Hare 1-1, C Laverty 1-0, C Maginn, A Carr (f), A Rogers, K King, K McKernan, D McCartan, B McArdle, D O’Hagan, K Duffin 0-1 each.

Fermanagh: R Gallagher, N Bogue, B Owens, N McGovern, D Kelly, B Cox, B Mulrone, S Lyons, M McGrath, D Keenan, E Donnelly, B Og Maguire, T Corrigan, D Kille, T McElroy.

Subs: E Maguire for B Maguire, C Quigley for Cox, R Jones for McGrath, S Quigley for McElroy, P Ward for Kille

Down: B McVeigh, D McCartan, B McArdle, D O’Hagan, A Branagan, K McKernan, C Garvey, A Rogers, K King, D Hughes, M Poland, A Carr, C Laverty, A McConville, C Maginn.

Subs: K Duffin for Carr, E McCartan for Poland, A McConville for Laverty, D Rooney for Rogers, D Turley for Branagan

Referee: S Doyle (Wexford).