Dublin faded badly under the Croke Park floodlights as a storming second half from Tyrone saw them take a tense 0-11 to 0-10 victory in the historic National League opener.

With Sean Cavanagh and Owen Mulligan starring, the under strength Red Hands came from five points down and take the Division 1A spoils is the first game played at Croke Park under floodlights.

It was Dublin league debutant Diarmuid Connolly who struck the first point on a memorable night for the GAA. The 19-year-old scored twice as the Dubs impressively moved into a 0-7 to 0-2 lead at the break.

But Mickey Harte's Tyrone side, who did not score from play until the 38th-minute, turned it around, despite having skipper Ryan McMenamin sent-off in injury-time.

They hit six of the game's final seven points, with Mulligan notching 0-4 (3f), to come good in front of league record crowd of 81,678.

Both sides lined out as selected, with Dublin showing three changes to the side that lifted the O'Byrne Cup last week – David Henry, Paul Casey and Alan Brogan were the new inclusions – while Tyrone handed league debuts to Colm Cavanagh, Sean's younger brother, and Colm Donnelly.

With memories of last year's infamous 'Battle of Omagh' still fresh in the mind, both sides were on their best behaviour, particularly with the GAA's hierarchy in close attendance, and whatever niggle was in the game quickly passed off.

A nervy opening saw Conal Keaney drop a free short and the Cavanagh brothers were wayward with a strike each at the Hill 16 end.

Connolly, one of Dublin's brightest prospects this season, angled over a free, four-and-a-half minutes in, to break the deadlock.

Alan Brogan, who gave Dermot Carlin a torrid time in the first half, added a neat finish from play as the Leinster champions made a cohesive start.

Further scores from Connolly, Darren Magee, when a goal looked on, Conal Keaney and David O'Callaghan sprung Paul Caffrey's charges into a 0-6 to 0-2 lead. A misfiring Tyrone only had two frees to show for their efforts in 20 minutes play, scored by Mulligan and Sean Cavanagh.

Corner-back David Henry darted forward to send over an inspirational 25th-minute point, which Pascal McConnell was forced to tip over the bar, and continuing the trend, Colm Cavanagh tallied up Tyrone's sixth wide, two minutes before the break.

Harte sprung Colm McCullagh and Kevin Hughes from the bench for the second half, and the switches had the desired effect as Tyrone quickly moved up through the gears.

Mulligan rapped over a free and Raymond Mulgrew left-footed over from play, whittling Dublin's lead down to three points.

The 40-minute mark saw Caffrey's side take a double scores lead as Keaney sent over a free, after good movement from All-Star Brogan forced Tyrone goalkeeper O'Connell into a good parry.

But then Dublin simply fell off their game, Caffrey replacing Magee at midfield proved to be a costly error as Tyrone dominated centre-field for the remainder, and Conor Gormley, making his first inter-county appearance since breaking his ankle last August, kept Brogan decidedly quiet.

Sean Cavanagh picked off a great point, from 45 yards out, to rally his troops, Connolly swung over a free in reply but that proved to be Dublin’s last point for an 18-minute stretch.

Tyrone took over, with defender Carlin jinking his way forward to point, Colm Cavanagh adding another score and substitute McCullagh managed to make it a one-point game – 0-9 to 0-8 – in the 56th-minute.

Dublin's defence, with Niall O'Shea trying manfully to control matters from full-back, gave away too much ball in the closing stages as they allowed the Ulster men to hit them on the counter attack.

Mulligan walloped over a great 61st-minute point, off his right foot, to level and the Tyrone whirlwind continued as Mulgrew brilliantly dummied past Derek Murray to thump over his side's tenth point and from a free won by Colm Cavanagh, Mulligan handed his side a sudden two-point advantage.

A quick attack saw Bonner nab a long-awaited Dublin point as the 12,000-strong Hill particularly sucked the ball through the posts, but there was to be no happy ending for the Dubs, not even a draw as despite McMenamin seeing red for kicking out at Bonner, Tyrone held firm for a smash-and-grab win.

Dublin: S Cluxton; D Henry (0-1), N O'Shea, P Griffin; P Casey, C Moran (capt), G Brennan; D O'Mahony, D Magee (0-1); D Murray, A Brogan (0-1), D Connolly (0-3, 2f); D O'Callaghan (0-1), K Bonner, C Keaney (0-2, 1f).

Subs used: S Ryan for D Magee (49), B Cullen for O'Mahony (54), B Brogan for O'Callaghan (61), C Goggins for Henry (66)

Tyrone: P McConnell; R McMenamin (capt), C McGinley, M McGee; D Harte, D Carlin (0-1), M Penrose; M Murphy, S Cavanagh (0-2, 1f); R Mulgrew (0-2), O Mulligan (0-4, 3f), C Cavanagh (0-1); R Mellon, C Donnelly, E McGinley.

Subs used: C McCullagh (0-1) for Donnelly, K Hughes for Murphy (both half-time), C Gormley for Penrose (46), T McGuigan for E McGinley (66)

Refere: Pat McEnaney (Monaghan)