Watch The Sunday Game Live featuring the All-Ireland SFC final on RTÉ TWO from 12.30pm to 5.30pm. Listen live on RTÉ Radio 1.

Ahead of Sunday's All-Ireland Football final, RTÉ Publishing's Barry J Whyte continues his look back at some memorable encounters between Kerry and Mayo.

Classic matches between Mayo and Kerry. Hen's teeth. For thirty years the term 'match' was inappropriately applied. The following sixty didn't bring anything better. There were occasional bright spots, but generally it was gloom.

Football is like chemistry: certain elements mixed together produce fizz and excitement; others sit idle in the jar. So researching classic matches between Kerry and Mayo is tougher than, say, researching classic matches between Kerry and Dublin (just ask Tom Humphries).

This instalment should perhaps be re-titled 'Significant Matches', or 'Mildly Interesting Results'. Either way, there are two things about the following game that are worthy of note. 

The first is that of the fifteen players on the GAA's team of the millennium, four of them played in this game; Danno O'Keeffe (Kerry), Joe Keohane (Kerry), Sean Flanagan (Mayo) and Tom Langan (Mayo) all trotted out onto the pitch prior to what would be one of the greatest shocks in Gaelic football history to that date.

The second issue of note is the result. And if you're from Kerry, you might want to look away now.

Kerry were an old team, and not equipped to deal with the pace of the Connacht champions. Though Keohane and Paddy Bawn Brosnan were already legends of the game, they were nearing the ends of their careers and not up to their younger opponents' speed.

In midfield, Carney and Eamonn Mongey would dictate the pace of the game and leave the Kerrymen huffing and puffing in their wake. They guided all attacks on the Kerry defence and exposed the lack of pace of the Kingdom stars.

Sometimes a wise old head just isn't enough on a football pitch, as the Mayo forwards highlighted by abandoning positions and simply running their markers ragged. The result was huge gaps in the Kerry backline, which the Connacht side exposed with brutal efficiency.

Though the Kerry backs probably kept the scoreline more respectable than it could have been – and conceding 0-13 is no shame – Mayo's dominance all over the pitch was highlighted by Kerry's inability to score more than three points.

The game opened, as so many Kerry v Mayo encounters did, with Mayo tearing into their opponents. Paraic Carney got Mayo on the board with a pointed free from 40 yards after just ten seconds, and Langan soon added to it.

O'Connor got Kerry on the board, but Mayo cancelled it out with two points from Sean Mulderrig and Solan. Dowling and O'Connor got Kerry to within a point, but it was as close as they'd get, and Mayo stretched further with points through Acton and Kenny.

The half-time score stood at Mayo 0-06, Kerry 0-03. It wasn't a disaster. Kerry had overturned half-time deficits against Mayo before. A good start to the second-half would put the frighteners on the young Connachtmen. A simple matter, surely.

Peter Solan had other ideas, and he stuck one over for Mayo on the restart. Still, Mayo rode their luck somewhat when O'Connor, barrelling down on the Mayo goal, seemed to be fouled. The referee didn't seem to see it, and the fans breathed again.

It was a blow to Kerry, and Mayo continued to rack up scores as Solan, Gilvarry and Langan grabbed two each before the death.

It should be clear to the least attentive reader that Kerry went through thirty minutes of football without scoring once.

Not a classic match – certainly not one for the purists – but just try telling that to the people of Mayo. As for the people of Kerry, well, you can all look back again.

Tomorrow: The 1969 All-Ireland senior football semi-final.