Longford ran riot against Tipperary, scoring 14 second half points to dominate tonight's All-Ireland SFC second round qualifier and win 1-23 to 1-10 at Pearse Park.

Luke Dempsey's side raced into a 0-05 to 0-02 lead before a through ball from Bernard McElvaney was right-footed to the Tipp net by David Barden in the 12th-minute.

Brian Kavanagh landed five points in the opening half as Longford led 1-09 to 0-07. Damien O'Brien notched two late points to give Tipp hope for the second half.

Brian Mulvihill scrambled home Tipp's goal, nine minutes from time, but four second half points from Paul Barden steered the hosts into the last 16.

There were only 30 seconds on the clock when Tipperary's Benny Hickey fired over the opening point. Yet Longford soon showed the form that saw them hussle Dublin with Kavanagh (0-02), and Paul and David Barden all landing points.

Three points from former All-Star Declan Browne and O'Brien's contribution kept the Premier men in touch at the break.

Hickey again opened the proceedings with a neat point as Tipp looked to threaten Longford's advantage. But Paul Barden (0-02) and Kavanagh quickly shut the door.

Mulvihill's goal was little more than a consolation with the Barden brothers tallying up 1-09 between them and the classy Kavanagh scoring 0-08 (5f) in all. Longford, in this mood, will be a match for anyone in the third round.

Longford: D Sheridan (capt); D Brady, N Farrell, C Conefrey; S Mulligan, A O'Connor, D Reilly; B McElvaney (0-01), L Keenan (0-01); P Berry (0-01), P Barden (0-06 (1f)), T Smullen; D Barden (1-03), P Dowd, B Kavanagh (0-08 (5f).
Subs used: K Smith (0-01) for Smullen (24 mins), D Masterson for O'Connor (33), P Foy (0-01) for Berry (46), J Martin for Mulligan (63), W Murray (0-01 (1f)) for Kavanagh (66).

Tipperary: P Fitzgerald, M Phelan, C Maher, A Morrissey; E Connolly, N Fitzgerald, R Costigan; K Connolly, M Peters; P Austin, D O'Brien (0-02), B Lacey (0-01); B Mulvihill (1-00), D Browne (0-04 (3f)), B Hickey (0-03 (1 '45)).
Subs used: G Hannigan for Mulryan (46 mins), K Quinlan for Peters (59), S Murphy for Browne (70 mins).

Referee: Padraig Hughes (Armagh).