Oisín McConville hit a late levelling free as Armagh battled back to earn a 0-11 to 2-05 with Fermanagh in this afternoon's Ulster SFC semi-final in Clones.

Despite not scoring a point from play in the first half, Fermanagh were still in touch at the break, trailing by 1-02 to 0-07. Steven McDonnell (0-02) led the early scoring for Armagh.

An error by goalkeeper Paul Hearty allowed Tom Brewster to net a goal for Fermanagh after 10 minutes, and substitute Ryan Keenan added his side's second green flag in the 44th-minute.

However Mark Murphy's point, four minutes later, proved to be the Ernesiders' final score as McDonnell and McConville grabbed late points to ensure their side live to fight another day in Ulster.

The replay has been set for June 25 at the same venue.

Both sides were forced into late changes this afternoon at St. Tiernach's Park. Armagh brought Hearty in for McKinney, whilst wing back Paul Duffy failed a fitness test on his groin with John Paul Donnelly being promoted. A third switch saw experienced full-back Francie Bellew return in place of Tony McEntee.

Ryan McCluskey came in for Raymie Johnston in the Fermanagh defence, and Colm Bradley was given an attacking role, with James Sherry benched.

Early points from Ciaran McKeever and McDonnell, making full use of a delightful high ball from Ronan Clarke, had Armagh in the ascendancy but a mix-up in the square in the tenth-minute saw Fermanagh pounce for a goal. A high, hanging ball had Hearty flailing on the ground and Brewster collected the ball to turn and ripple the net.

Brewster (17 minutes) and Ciaran O’Reilly (23) added frees to Fermanagh's tally but with former captain Kieran McGeeney influential at midfield, Armagh managed to boss the closing stages of the first half.

Clarke, Paddy McKeever, Aaron Kernan, who waltzed up from the back, McConville and McDonnell grabbed overs to secure a two-point lead for their side at the interval.

McKeever's 21st-minute effort would have given manager Joe Kernan the most pleasure as McGeeney snaffled possession and fed Clarke who offloaded for the Ballyhegan clubman to send over a towering score.

Stung by the words of boss Charlie Mulgrew at the break, Fermanagh came out like a team possessed in the early part of the second half - scoring 1-02 without reply.

Right corner forward O'Reilly banged over a free from close range, the impressive Brewster then got away from three defenders to notch Fermanagh's first point from play – 38 minutes into the encounter.

Armagh stopper Hearty produced heroics when he finger-tipped a drilled shot from Eamon Maguire around his right post. But two minutes later, Keenan made no mistake when put through on goal. A high ball caught Enda McNulty out and the Fermanagh replacement raced clear to right-foot home with Hearty stranded.

Armed with a 2-04 to 0-07 lead, Mulgrew's men were looking good. But two points in as many minutes signalled that Armagh were not about to lose grip on the Anglo Celt Cup without a fight.

McConville and Clarke struck over excellent points – the latter's was a booming kick from wide out on the right. Young midfielder Murphy replied with an energetic score but Fermanagh disappointingly failed to score for the closing 22 minutes as they ran out of steam.

Fermanagh keeper Chris Breen scored a psychological hit when he brilliantly thwarted McDonnell when he was through one-on-one. The final ten minutes were tense – Brewster kicked his side's only real chance wide from a right-sided free.

McDonnell's third point from play and McConville's sole free were enough for Armagh to gain parity and end Fermanagh's hopes of a repeat of their 2004 All-Ireland quarter-final win over the Orchard men, for at least another two weeks.

Armagh: P Hearty; A Mallon, F Bellew, E McNulty; A Kernan (0-01), C McKeever (0-01), P Duffy; K McGeeney, P McGrane (capt); P McKeever (0-01), B Mallon, M Mackin; S McDonnell (0-03), R Clarke (0-02), O McConville (0-03 (1f)).
Subs used: A O’Rourke for JP Donnelly (56 mins), J McEntee for Clarke (64)

Fermanagh: C Breen; P Sherry, B Owens, R McCluskey; S Goan, H Brady, S McDermott; L McBarron, M Murphy (0-01); M Little, C Bradley, T Brewster (1-02 (1f)); E Maguire, S Doherty, C O'Reilly (0-02 (2f)).
Subs used: R Keenan for O’Reilly (32 mins-half time), R Keenan (1-00) for Bradley (half time), J Sherry for McBarron (49), R Johnston for Brady (57), F Reilly for Murphy (66)

Referee: John Bannon (Longford).