Offaly's 3-09 to 0-15 win over Kildare could be in doubt after they allegedly made too many substitutions in the Leinster SFC quarter-final at Croke Park.

The Faithfuls were seen to use three substitutes in the first half and three in the second – one more than the allotted five. 

The row seems to centre over Offaly full forward Pascal Kellaghan who was forced off in the first half and replaced by James Coughlan in a blood substitution. However, when Kellaghan came back on for the second half, he took the place of Trevor Phelan and not Coughlan.

The Leinster Council of the GAA have said they "aware of uncertainty in relation to the position with regard to substitutions" and that they "they will consider the full circumstances of the matter in the coming days".

A second-minute goal from midfielder Alan McNamee helped Offaly lead 1-06 to 0-08 at the break. James Lonergan brought John Reynolds down for a 42nd-minute penalty which Alan's brother Niall duly dispatched.

Offaly then lost centre back Scott Brady to a second yellow card but Niall McNamee set up Thomas Deehan for a clinching 66th-minute goal.

In the sides' 37th championship meeting, John Doyle, back from a foot injury, pointed the Lilywhites in front after only 11 seconds. A neat move saw McNamee reply with his goal from close range.

Colm Quinn (free) and substitute John Reynolds added points before Doyle and Dermot Earley raised  white flags to cut the gap for Kildare to 0-03 to 1-02 after 18 minutes.

Niggly fouls blighted the remainder of the half as Tyrone referee Michael Hughes was called upon to whistle up for numerous frees.

Kildare, helped by a Tadhg Fennin brace, bolstered their tally to 0-08 by the short whistle, but closing points from Coughlan and Niall McNamee maintained Offaly's lead. However, their chances did take a hit when full-back Shane Sullivan was stretchered off.

The Lilywhites managed to hit the front early in the second half with points from Killian Brennan and Padraig O'Neill putting them 0-10 to 1-06 to the good.

Back came Offaly with McNamee's penalty strike. After Brady's sending off, Kildare briefly rallied but a brilliant point from skipper Karol Slattery and a Ciaran McManus '45 pushed the Faithfuls 2-08 to 0-11 in front.

Deehan's goal rocked Kildare onto their heels with Niall McNamee tagging on a point for 3-09 to 0-11. The Lilywhites finished out the game with 14 men as having used their five substitutes, an injury to half-forward Derek McCormack left them short.

John Crofton's side did boost their spirits by landing the game's final four points with Doyle and James Kavanagh landing 0-02 apiece, however Offaly were already turning their thoughts to a semi-final against Wexford on June 18.

Offaly: P Kelly; G Rafferty, S Sullivan, N Grennan; P McConway, S Brady (0-01), K Slattery (capt) (0-02); C McManus (0-01, 1 '45), A McNamee (1-00); C Quinn (0-01 (1f)), N Coughlan (0-01), T Phelan; T Deehan (1-00), P Kellaghan, N McNamee (1-01 (1-00 pen)).
Subs used: J Reynolds (0-01) for Quinn (13 mins), J Coughlan (0-01) for Kellaghan (blood) (14), J Rafferty for Sullivan (35), Kellaghan for Phelan (half time), D Hunt for Coughlan (64), J Keane for Reynolds (70).

Kildare: E Murphy; A McLoughlin, M Hogarty, J Lonergan; P Mullarkey, J Divilly, I Lonergan; D Earley (0-01), K Brennan (0-01); R Sweeney, D McCormack, K Ennis (0-01); T Fennin (0-02), P O'Neill (0-02), J Doyle (0-06 (4f)).
Subs used: E Callaghan for Lonergan (46 mins), G Ryan for Mullarkey (51), T Archibald for Fennin (58), M Foley for Brennan (58), J Kavanagh (0-02) for McCormack (64).

Referee: Michael Hughes (Tyrone)