A storming second-half performance at Croke Park was enough to see Cork claim their first ever All-Ireland ladies football title defeating Galway 1-11 to 0-8.

The six-point victory capped off an amazing year for the Rebels and completed a county treble with hurling, camogie and now ladies football titles all annexed.

Valerie Mulcahy was the star of this latest win with 1-5 to ensure a women’s dream double on Leeside.

Defender Briege Corkery, one of five dual panellists for Cork, weighed in with a late point, just like she did in the camogie team's win over Tipperary at the same venue.

It was a perfect day then and Cork skipper Juliette Murphy, who led by example with a starring midfield display, lifted the Brendan Martin Cup aloft in front of 23,358.

Cork only won their first ever national title this year when they claimed the league crown back in April but are now the pacesetters in ladies football.

Interestingly, they defeated Galway in that final with Mulcahy netting from the penalty spot and she did the same here to seal another win at Galway's expense.

Her second-half goal effectively put Cork in the driving seat and they cruised over the finish line having belatedly found fifth gear.

It was champions Galway that took the game to Cork early on and they dominated possession in the first-half as they took a 0-4 to 0-3 half-time lead.

Niamh Duggan and star forward Niamh Fahy got all four points between them and Galway were looking good value to hold onto their crown.

But they were outrun, outthought and, crucially, outscored after the break as Cork took their impressive running game to Galway.

The Tribeswomen only managed another 0-4 for the entire game and Cork went to town with 1-8 after the break.

Nollaig Cleary put Cork back on level terms at 0-4 apiece after the restart and points from Deirdre O'Reilly, Mulcahy and Cleary again put them in the clear.

Mulcahy's penalty conversion arrived in the 50th minute, after O'Reilly had been pulled down by Galway's Ruth Stephens, and Cork moved 1-8 to 0-6 ahead.

It was about holding onto the lead now at a crucial time and they did that well with further points to see them home.

Corkery was first up in the run in with a fine point and scores from Cleary and super-sub O'Reilly gave Cork a cushion that saw them to victory.

Cork: E Harte; B Stack, A Walsh, R Buckley; B Corkery (0-1), C Walsh, S O'Reilly; J Murphy, N Kelly; A Murphy, R Curtin, N Cleary (0-3); V Mulcahy (1-5; 1pen, 3f), C Creedon, G O'Flynn.

Subs: M O'Connor for O'Flynn 24, D O'Reilly (0-2) for Creedon 43, A O'Connor for Curtin 53, N Keohane for A Murphy 60.

Galway: U Carroll; M Glynn, R Stephens, AM McDonagh; M O'Connell, A Daly, E Flaherty; A Clarke, E Concannon; G Conneely, N Duggan (0-3; 3f), P Ni Fhlatharta (0-2); R McPhilbin, N Fahy (0-2), L Joyce.

Subs: C Molloy for McDonagh 33, P Gleeson (0-1) for Joyce 38, L Cohil for McPhilbin 50.

Refereee: T Clarke (Dublin).