Cork are through to the Bank of Ireland All-Ireland Football semi-final after a thrilling 2-14 to 2-11 victory over Galway at Croke Park today.

A stunning Brendan Jer O'Sullivan goal midway through the second half turned a thrilling encounter in their favour, after they had trailed by four points at half-time.

In the end, the Rebels were richly deserving winners having squeezed the potent Galway attack out of the game in the second half, while Eoin Sexton and Anthony Lynch were simply superb.

Three Padraic Joyce points gave Galway the early edge but, when James Masters was fouled going for goal in the 13th minute, John Hayes slotted home the most perfect of penalty kicks to ease the Rebels in front.

With both sides intent on playing positive and expansive football, the sun-soaked Croke Park crowd was treated to an exhibition of finishing. Joyce, Armstrong and Meehan hit gems for the Tribesmen while Hayes, Brendan Jer and Masters did likewise at the other end.

The sides had been level on four occasions before Meehan decided to take matters into his own hands, with two predatory goals in the space of four minutes.

First he capitalised on a rare handling blunder by goalkeeper Kevin  O'Dwyer to punch home in the 24th minute, then rounded O'Dwyer and  Gary Murphy for a brilliant second strike.

By now Galway led by six points, but Cork finished the half strongly with scores from O'Sullivan and Anthony Lynch to trail by 2-7 to 1-6 at the break.

In the second period, Masters and Hayes slotted frees to bring Cork back to within two points, before O'Sullivan took a Derek Kavanagh pass to blast home a screamer in the 50th minute to catapult them into a lead they would never lose.

Now playing with a swagger, the Munster men piled on the agony for a tiring Galway side with Lynch, Clifford and the hard working Kevin McMahon all tagging on wonderful points.

The Connacht champions could manage only two more points, from Meehan and another Joyce free, as Billy Morgan's men closed out the game.

Galway: B O’Donoghue; A Burke, F Hanley, K Fitzgerald; D Meehan, P Clancy, D Burke; B Cullinane, N Coleman; S Armstrong (0-2), M Clancy, J Bergin; M Meehan (2-2), P Joyce (0-7, 5 f), M Donnellan.
Subs: N Meehan for Coleman, K Comer for M Clancy, C Monaghan for  Hanley.

Cork: K O’Dwyer; N Geary, G Canty, G Murphy; E Sexton (0-1), A Lynch  (0-2), N O'Leary; D Kavanagh, N Murphy; BJ O'Sullivan (1-03), C McCarthy, K McMahon (0-1); P Clifford (0-1), J Hayes (1-3, 1 pen, 1f), J Masters (0-3, 2f).
Subs: K O'Connor for Geary, A Cronin for Masters.

Referee: M Deegan Laois