In Munster, Maurice Fitzgerald finally added the Kerry football championship to his impressive collection of silverware as South Kerry defeated Laune Rangers 1-13 to 2-05.

Fitzgerald, believed by many to be the greatest footballer of his generation, was excited at the prospect of adding the county medal to his collection.

And the former Kerry great, who won the first of three All-Star awards back in 1988, played with a broken toe and had a hand in the Divisional side's only goal in front of over 12,000 spectators in Killarney.

He also set up his brother-in-law Denis O'Dwyer for a good early score, but Laune still held a 2-3 to 0-6 half time lead.

Seamus Foley was left unmarked on 11 minutes to slot home Rangers' first goal and Stephen O'Sullivan, who otherwise performed well on intercounty forward Mike Frank Russell, was unfortunate enough to let Colin O'Connor slip through his
22nd minute tackle to bag a second. 

South Kerry outgunned their Killorglin opposition in the second half, scoring 1-7 to Rangers' 0-2 with Fitzgerald fisting to the unmarked Ronan O'Connor for a clinching goal.

Fitzgerald, who lifted the Bishop Moynihan Cup at the finish, now faces into a Munster Club semi-final against Clare's Kilmurray-Ibrickane in just seven days' time.

In the first round of the Munster football championship, Waterford's Stradbally lost Trevor Costelloe on the half hour mark but won the match by one point on a scoreline of 0-11 to 1-07.

In the Mayo senior football final Ballina beat Knockmore on a scoreline of 1-09 to 0-06 with Liam Brady notching up a goal and seven points for the winners.

In Leinster Garrycastle edged out Castledaly in the Westmeath SF final with Garrycastle's goal coming from Justin McAteer.

At Dr Cullen Park there was a draw between Rathvilly of Carlow and Starlights of Wexford as Starlights' John Hudson singlehandedly matched Rathvilly's tally of eight points, the last of which came in the last minute.

In Tullamore Portlaoise ran riot over Rhode of Offaly with the game finishing at 3-10 to 0-04.

Troubled Laois star Colm Parkinson was on netted for Portlaoise, with the other goals coming from Craig Rogers.

Meath's Skyrne edged Allenwood, first time winners in the Kildare championship, by the absolute minimum on a scoreline of 1-08 to 1-07. Skyrne's goal came from Mick O'Dowd while John Carroll netted for Allenwood.