Paidi O Sé's Westmeath scored the opening four and closing three points of the second half of their Leinster SFC quarter-final against Dublin to ensure a 0-14 to 0-12 win - the county's first Championship success over the Metropolitans since 1967.

Dublin held a 0-09 to 0-06 lead at the interval having played with a strong breeze behind them, but Westmeath looked a different proposition in the second half as Dublin failed to match their endeavour and accuracy in front of the posts.

Gary Dolan levelled the match at twelve points apiece with five minutes remaining but long range scores from substitute Joe Fallon and half forward Paul Conway in injury time were enough to see O Sé's side through to a June 27 semi-final meeting with either Wexford or Kildare.

Dublin enjoyed a blitzkrieg start, in particular 1995 hero Jason Sherlock, who struck four points from play in the opening 16 minutes. Westmeath's Brian Morley was found by a Des Dolan dink forward for the opening score on three minutes. Alan Brogan, Sherlock's strike partner, looked dominant in loose play, seeing a fisted goal attempt saved by John Keane on the goal line before swivelling and pointing an equaliser from a broken down long ball.

Sherlock and then Brogan, motoring through and past James Davitt, soon put Tommy Lyons' men 0-03 to 0-01 in front. Westmeath's most elusive forward Dessie Dolan then saw his 11th minute goal attempt squirt free from Dublin debutant 'keeper Brian Murphy and over.

Two points from Sherlock stretched Dublin over to 0-05 to 0-02 and a fourth point for the Na Fianna man, off his weaker left, put four between the sides. With the pace slackening Dessie Dolan pointed a left wing free for the Midlanders and watched a 27th minute attempt flash wide.

Conway was released by Dolan after a foul by Barry Cahill to put Westmeath within two but despite a close range Fergal Wilson free and Dennis Glennon's acute angled point, O Sé's side remained a goal behind at the break, with Brogan, Bryan Cullen and Senan Connell (free) scoring a late clutch for the Dubs to give a three point advantage at the break.

More was expected from Dublin but the points dried up in the second half. Dolan arched over the half's first on 38 minutes, and with erratic Dublin midfielder Ciaran Whelan lucky to be left on the field following a blatant 42nd minute elbow on substitute David Mitchell. Mitchell's subsequent point from distance, a fisted effort from young Glennon and Alan Mangan's first had Westmeath suddenly in front on 46 minutes.

Mangan grabbed his second eleven minutes later after a lone Collie Moran point, but a pressure 58th minute free from Connell levelled the game. The hour mark saw Dublin move in front with Brogan notching his fourth but with Connell, Glennon and Dessie Dolan all wayward it looked like Dublin would hold on.

Up stepped Dolan's brother Gary to level, then a rushed Sherlock goal chance was parried wide by Gary Connaughton and then, in injury time, the vital scores from Fallon, barely on the field, and Conway's winning effort, a quick field and point from Connaughton's long range free.

Kerryman O Sé was jubilant at the final whistle. "It's a great victory for us," he exclaimed, following on from Westmeath's 0-11 to 0-10 first round success over Offaly. "We'll have to calm it down now as it's only a quarter-final but we're delighted with the success."

Westmeath: D Dolan 0-03 (1f), A Mangan, D Glennon, P Conway 0-02 each, B Morley, D Mitchell, F Wilson (1f), G Dolan, J Fallon 0-01 each.

Dublin: J Sherlock, A Brogan 0-04 each, S Connell 0-02 (2f), B Cullen, C Moran 0-01 each.

Yellow cards:
Westmeath: D O'Shaughnessy (35 mins), D Mitchell (42 mins); Dublin: C Whelan (42 mins)

Westmeath: G Connaughton; J Davitt, D O'Donoghue, J Keane; M Ennis, D Healy, D Heavin; G Dolan, D O'Shaughnessy; B Morley, P Conway, A Mangan; F Wilson, D Glennon, D Dolan.
Subs: D Kilmartin for Davitt (22 mins), D Mitchell for Wilson (32 mins), J Fallon for Glennon (70 mins)

Dublin: B Murphy; B Cahill, P Christie, P Griffin; S Ryan, D Magee, P Andrews; D Homan, C Whelan; C Keaney, B Cullen, C Moran; A Brogan, J Sherlock, S Connell.
Subs: R Cosgrove for Keaney (49 mins), C Goggins for Homan (53 mins), D Lally for Cullen (61 mins)

Referee: M Collins (Cork)

Filed by Shane Murray