All-Ireland champions Galway are out of this year's championship after an impressive Kerry team defeated them by 2-17 to 1-12 at Croke Park today. Kerry were quickly into their stride and were two points up within two minutes through Colm Cooper and Mike Frank Russell and those two continued with their scoring throughout the first half as Kerry attacked with speed and precision leaving their forward-line time and space to shoot. Seamus Moynihan was marking Padraig Joyce and had the better of the opening exchanges leaving Galway looking for an outlet and that came after 6 minutes through Michael Donnellan. He went on a run 40 yards out and sprinted through the Kerry defence before hitting his shot low passed Declan O'Keefe into the Kerry net to give his side a real lift.

Joyce then eluded Moynihan for long enough to score his first point of the game before Kerry hit a purple patch. Russell (2), Tomas O'Sé and Cooper all hit points from play to drag Kerry back into it and although Galway led at this stage it was Kerry who looked the better side. Kerry continued to attack and Cooper and Darragh O'Cinneide were on hand to give Kerry a slight advantage. Then on 28 mins Sean O'Sullivan took a pass from Eoin Brosnan then used his pace to take him through on goal before unleashing a powerful shot into the roof of the Galway net and put some daylight between the teams for the first time in the game. Joyce replied with a point for Galway when he might have had a goal and the sides went in a half time with Kerry leading 1-09 to 1-06.

Kerry began the second half as they did the first with Russell and Cooper sending over early points to stretch Kerry's lead but Galway weren't going to surrender their All-Ireland crown that easily. They responded as Tommy Joyce fed his brother who reduced the deficit to just four points with another good point. Kerry never let-up however and the game looked to be slipping away from Galway when they wasted a couple of good chances to close the gap, they kept plugging away though and with 15 mins to go Kerry held a slender four-point advantage. Padraig Joyce then kicked an excellent point to leave a single goal between the sides.

Soon after it was as good as over however as substitute Aodán MacGearailt scored a goal with a cool finish from a tight angle, which killed any remaining chances Galway had of a revival. There were further points for both sides but the remainder of the game was virtually meaningless as a tired looking Galway played out the time leaving Kerry as deserving winners.

Filed by Johnny Proby