Brendan Dolan says he has ditched his "scatter-brained" attitude and is reaping the rewards.

The Fermanagh man's run in to the last 16 of the World Darts Championship represents his best showing at the showpiece tournament. 

Known as the 'History Maker' after landing the first ever nine-dart finish at the World Grand Prix in Dublin in 2011 – where he was beaten in the final by Phil Taylor – Dolan may have believed his best days were behind him. 

Previously in the PDC order of merit's top 10, Dolan has slipped steadily down the rankings to 45.

However, a change of attitude has stopped the rot, he reckons.

The 45-year-old from Belcoo was a comfortable winner over Chinese qualifier Yuanjun Liu in the first round before getting stuck into the bigger names, beating Joe Cullen (seeded 14) and Mervyn King (19) to book a Friday showdown against either Toni Alcinas or Benito van de Pas (30).

"I thought I was a great practicer when I did two to three hours, two or three days a week," said Dolan.

"I'm doing four to five hours, five days a week now.

"I feel good and I'm willing to put the hours on the board whereas before I was too scatter-brained to last 20 minutes

"I'm here to get really deep in this tournament, to rectify a bad three to four years.

"I've put the effort in all year and I think it's coming to fruition now.

"That standard of [my] darts has risen immensely.

"Now you are not talking about 20 players that you have to toss out of a tournament, and they all knock each other out so you only have to beat three or four.

"Now you have to beat six or seven quality players every time you go out now to get through each round.

"Now I'm going to put in the effort and prove I'm better than most of them."

Dolan is the last Irish man standing in the event and is guaranteed £35,000 at this stage.

Speaking to RTE Sport, Limerick's Willie O'Connor, beaten by Ryan Searle in the third round, says he is not one bit surprised by Dolan's performances.

"He's throwing phenomenal stuff, he's throwing super darts," said O'Connor.

"If I was a betting man I'd back Brendan to go a long way in the tournament. He's mentally ready. He's as good as he's been in a while.

"He's a dangerous player and I think he'll go deep into the tournament."

The 2019 edition of the £2.5m event has been filled with shock results and only three of the top eight seeds, Michael van Gerwen, Rob Cross and Gary Anderson, remain.

The action at Alexandra Palace resumes on 27 December with the remaining four matches from round three before the first two last 16 ties, featuring two-time champions Anderson, Van Gerwen and Adrian Lewis.

Thursday 27 December 

Afternoon Session (1230)

Devon Petersen v Steve West (R3)
Dimitri Van den Bergh v Luke Humphries (R3)
Michael Smith v John Henderson (R3)

Evening Session (1900)

Toni Alcinas v Benito van de Pas (R3)
Gary Anderson v Chris Dobey (R4)
Michael van Gerwen v Adrian Lewis (R4)