Jamie Lewis stormed into the semi-finals of the William Hill World Darts Championship with a 5-0 whitewash of Darren Webster at Alexandra Palace.

The 26-year-old provisional-round qualifier, who defeated second seed Peter Wright before earning his quarter-final place with a 4-1 win over James Richardson, lined up a meeting with Phil Taylor or Gary Anderson after a dominant performance.

Lewis clinched the first set with a double-16 finish before taking a 2-0 lead after breaking Webster's throw twice in the second.

Webster missed three doubles to draw level at 2-2 in the third set to open the door for Lewis, who returned to the oche to hit double eight and move 3-0 up.

Lewis maintained his dominance before closing in to one set of the last four with a double-20 finish in the first-to-five match.

Webster took the first leg of the fifth set against throw but Lewis hit back by taking the next two to move one leg away from the last four.

The Welshman was briefly delayed in his charge as Webster pulled back to 2-2 in the set before both missed set-winning doubles, however Lewis became the first man through to the semi-finals with a double six.

"I still can't believe it to be honest," Lewis told Sky Sports Darts after the match. "I'm in the semi-finals of the World Championship.

"It's still not really sinking in but obviously I'm so chuffed to win that game.

"I thought it was going to be a close game and go 5-4, 5-3 either way, but to come out and win that game 5-0, I'm just so chuffed."

In the second quarter-final, Rob Cross held off a spirited fightback from Dimitri Van den Bergh to win a thrilling match 5-4.

Cross claimed a 2-0 lead but Van den Bergh hit back before missing crucial darts as Cross took the fourth set to lead 3-1.

Cross took the fifth set but his Belgian opponent refused to give up and he won the next two sets to make it 4-3.

Kent-born Cross appeared to be feeling the pressure as he missed four key darts as he searched for a finish to allow Van den Bergh to win two legs in the eighth, giving him the chance to level the match on his own throw.

The 23-year-old did just that after taking three darts to find the double eight needed to force a deciding set.

Van den Bergh took the first leg then missed double 16 for an incredible bull-bull-D16 132 checkout, with Cross landing double six to level at 1-1.

Cross then broke Van den Bergh's throw with a double 16 finish to throw for the match, finally claiming the win with double one after both players missed a series of finishes in a tense ending.

This evening's session sees Michael van Gerwen face compatriot Raymond van Barneveld, and Gary Anderson tackling Phil Taylor.