Phil Taylor will face old nemesis Raymond van Barneveld in the quarter-finals of the World Darts Championship after registering a 4-2 win over Kim Huybrechts.  

The Belgian hit a 106 checkout to start the match before going up a break in the next but Taylor reeled off the next three to take the first set.

The two traded breaks to start the second set, with Taylor hitting 101, before securing the next two legs to go 2-0 before the third followed suit to earn the 56-year-old his three-set lead.

Taylor needed just one leg to secure a whitewash victory but Huybrechts stormed back with a 106 checkout followed by a scrappy final leg to win the fourth set and stay in the match.

The 31-year-old maintained the momentum to earn two breaks alongside a 109 finish to reduce the deficit to 3-2.

However, the veteran regained his composure to close out the win and set up an eagerly-awaited clash with Van Barneveld.

Michael van Gerwen showed some of his sparkling best form as he inflicted a 4-1 defeat on Darren Webster.

Starting at a frantic pace, Webster hit 100 and 68 finishes to match his formidable opponent to go 2-2 and by doing so nearly took the opening set with two darts at doubles, but he failed to convert. The Dutchman duly obliged by taking the first and then the second set.

It was one-way traffic, with 'Mighty Mike' rattling off the next three legs with finishes of 74, eight and 32 to go 3-0 up before a dazzling 170 checkout broke Webster in the first leg of the fourth set.

'Demolition Man' Webster fought back with checkouts of 96 and 84 helping him get on the board with a deserved set to trail 3-1 to Van Gerwen, and he continued into the fifth set with Webster taking the first two legs.

But Van Gerwen by responded hitting 88, double 20 and 62 to seal the last three legs, thus confirming his place in the last eight.

Peter Wright dropped his first set of the tournament against Ian White but was always in control in a 4-1 victory.

Wright had built up a three-set buffer when White took out 82 to win give himself a glimmer of hope, but Snakebite went on to prevail after winning the deciding leg in the fifth set.

"I feel happy," said Wright. "Ian started to show what he could do towards the end of the match but I've got a strong mindset and that saw me through."I've been playing well and averaging over 100 but that is the standard you need to hit in every match for it to be possible to become world champion."

Northern Ireland's Daryl Gurney reached the quarter-finals at Alexandra Palace for the first time after overcoming Welshman Mark Webster in a topsy-turvy 4-3 win.

In the opening match of an entertaining afternoon session, the 30-year-old lost the first set 3-0 before he capitalised on Webster's troubles on the doubles to level the match with a tight 3-2 second set success.

Derry native Gurney, who hit seven maximums during the match, took the next two sets to lead 3-1 and leave him just one away from a last-eight spot.

He had five darts to seal victory but Webster hit back to take the next two by a scoreline of 3-2 and take the match into a final set.

But Gurney found his composure to come through and win the final set 3-1, setting up a potential clash with world number one Michael van Gerwen for a place in the semi-finals.

Dave Chisnall held off Jelle Klaasen to earn a 4-2 victory and advance to the next round.

He opened up a two-set lead and looked to be coasting against the number 10 seed before the Dutchman hit back to halve the deficit.

Chisnall then won five legs in a row to put him one away from victory but Klaasen responded with checkouts of 99 and 68 before stealing the fifth set with a double top finish.

Chisnall opened the sixth set by missing 22 darts at doubles to hand Klaasen a two-leg advantage but stormed back to take the next three and reach his first World Championship quarter-finals.

Michael Smith raced into a two-set lead against sixth seed James Wade in the final match of the session, before the latter finally got on the board with a 3-1 third set.

A 98 checkout set Smith on his way to a 3-1 advantage and left him just one set from the win, but Aldershot thrower Wade had other ideas.

Level at 1-1 in the fifth, Wade checked out 131 before hitting 64 to extend the match to a sixth set where he won all three legs to take it to a decider, with Smith struggling to make an impact on the scoreboard.

'The Machine' maintained the momentum to win the opening leg of the seventh set before breaking the 26-year-old in the second, with double top sealing his seventh straight leg and a place in the last eight.