Ireland lost by four wickets to Zimbabwe in the men's series T20 decider in Harare as the hosts won the three-match series 2-1.

Ireland, put into bat, made 141-9 off their 20 overs. Zimbabwe struggled in reply as the Irish side looked like they were on the way to a famous win even though the Zimbabweans' captain Craig Ervine made his fourth T20 half century against Ireland in just 11 innings and when he was out for 54 - caught by Curtis Campher off the bowling of Mark Adair in the 16th over - it looked like handing Ireland the win.

However, Zimbabwe's Ryan Burl smashed George Dockrell in the 18th over as he made 30 runs off just 11 balls and the hosts eventually won with six balls to spare.

Earlier in the day, Ireland were asked to bat after losing the toss, and Zimbabwe were immediately amongst the wickets, reducing the tourists to 19-3 in only the fourth over, losing Ross Adair (10), the non-firing Stephen Doheny (2) and captain Andy Balbirnie for just nine.

Ireland's innings was rescued by a 70-run, fourth wicket partnership between Harry Tector and Campher which took them to 89 in the 14th over before Campher was caught behind off the bowling of Burl for 27 off 28 deliveries.

Tector, playing with a wrist injury, did not last much longer before he was bowled by Wellington Masakadza for 47 in the 15th over.

Neil Rock went for two runs with Ireland 100-6, before Dockrell and Mark Adair moved the score to 131 for as Adair was bowled for 14 at the end of the penultimate over, before Dockrell was caught for 23 with the first ball of the last over.

Barry McCarthy hit a six with his first ball before he departed as Ireland ended on 141-9 at the end of their 20 overs.

The sides meet in the first of three ODI's on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the Irish women's Under-19 side lost by seven runs to the West Indies in their first group match at the inaugural Under-19 World Cup in South Africa.

West Indies made 125-3 off their 20 overs and despite a brave reply for Ireland, in which Annabel Squires scored 42 runs of 38 ball, the Irish team could only reach 118-7.

Ireland's next game is against New Zealand on Tuesday.