Ireland put in a much more competitive display but still lost by four wickets as England took an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three match One Day International series at the Ageas Bowl in Southampton 

England were set a modest total as Ireland recovered from another poor start, with new recruit Curtis Campher again the star of the Irish innings with his second consecutive half century 

England found themselves in a spot of bother on 137 for 6 in reply, but Ireland couldn't dislodge either Sam Billings (46 not out) or David Willey (47 not out) and the world champions eventually won with 17.3 overs to spare. 

Earlier in the day, Ireland captain Andy Balbirnie won the toss and decided to bat on a cloudy afternoon with the only change an enforced one as Josh Little replaced the injured Barry McCarthy in the Irish starting XI 

Eoin Morgan also made one change with bowler Tom Curran replaced by Sussex’s Reece Topley. 

Paul Stirling and Garth Delaney opened the batting for Ireland with Balbirnie dropping himself down to a more accustomed role at number three in the order. 

However, Stirling and Delaney struggled against the left arm seam of Topley and David Willey. 

Delaney was out LBW to Willey in the fourth over without having troubling the scorers while Stirling played and missed and was caught at backward point by Tom Banton. 

The 29-year-old Belfast opener had racked up 11 runs and Ireland were struggling at 15 for 2. 

Balbirnie and Harry Tector moved the score onto 39 before the Irish captain perished to part-time bowler James Vince as he tried unsuccessfully to pull his bat out of the way and was caught behind.

Ireland then lost Kevin O'Brien, bowled through the gate by the canny Adi Rashid, with the visitors on 44 for 4 after 16 overs. 

Tector and Lorcan Tucker, the wicket keeper,added 34 for the fifth wicket before the former, who looked in good touch after some early scares, tried to get after Rashid and only succeeded in chipping the ball to mid on and he departed for 28.with Ireland 78 for 5. 

Curtis Campher celebrates his half-century alongside Andy McBrine

Tucker (21) was out trying to sweep Rashid who ended with 3 for 34 off his ten overs before Curtis Campher, who scored 59 for Ireland on debut in the opening game on Thursday, and Simi Singh (25), added 60 runs for the seventh wicket.

Their impressive partnership was brought to an end when Singh was caught behind in the 42nd over. 

Campher and Andy McBrine helped push Ireland past 200 with the former South African U-19 International, going onto make 68 as Ireland wound up on 212 for 9 at the end of their allotted 50 overs. 

In reply, England lost a wicket almost immediately as Jason Roy thrashed at a delivery from Craig Young and only managed to pick out Gareth Delaney. The England opener was out for a duck in the opening over. 

Jonny Bairstow, however, began to batter the Irish attack after Roy’s dismissal, bringing up his 50 in only 21 deliveries, reaching the half-century with a huge six off Andy McBrine. 

Campher took the wickets off both Vince (16) and Banton (15) to leave the hosts at 98/3 but Bairstow continued to make hay.  

Bairstow proceeded to make 82 off just 42 deliveries but when his wicket was taken by Josh Little, the hosts wobbled badly. 

In a scintillating spell, Little proceeded to take three wickets in his first six deliveries, taking both Morgan and Ali for a duck and England were mired in difficulties on 136/3. 

That was as good as it got for the visitors and Billings and Willey steadied the ship emphatically, racking up a big partnership to ease England over the line. 

The final match in the series is another day/night match at the Ageas Bowl at 2pm on Tuesday.