England's players have urgently asked for next month's cricket World Cup match against Zimbabwe in Harare to be switched to South Africa due to the deteriorating political situation in Zimbabwe.
"The England players urgently request the Zimbabwe match on February 13 to be moved to South Africa," a statement by England's Professional Cricketers' Association said on Monday. "As concern has grown over the current political situation in Zimbabwe, the players request an urgent review of the World Cup schedule.
"Without doubt the (moral and political) issues have been weighing heavily on players' minds. Concerns are increasing daily and it is clear the situation in Zimbabwe is highly volatile.
"The players are greatly concerned for the welfare of the people of Zimbabwe...it is very important that no-one comes to any harm because of a cricket match in Harare."
The England and Wales Cricket Board and the England team have come under pressure to pull out of the match because of Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe's policies, which opponents say have caused food shortages and violence in the southern African country.
The sport's ruling body, the International Cricket Council, said last week that the six World Cup matches scheduled to take place in Zimbabwe should go ahead because it was confident that players' safety could be guaranteed. The ICC today reiterated that stance.
Filed by James Boylan.