Katie Taylor has successfully defended her undisputed lightweight championship, beating American Jennifer Han via unanimous decision at Headingley Stadium.

The fight will not go down as a classic but Taylor was never in trouble and always in control against a wily veteran, winning all ten rounds.

All three judges scored the fight 100-89, with an eighth round knock-down the highlight of the bout for Taylor.

Former IBF featherweight champion Han showed no signs of ring-rust despite being out of action for 19 months but was never able to worry Taylor whose main frustration was that she didn't get the stoppage she was looking for.

Fighting in the birthplace of her father, Taylor felt right at home and received a rapturous welcome from the 20,000 fans in attendance.

The champion set the tempo from the first bell, taking up her place in the centre of the ring, chasing Han as she set-up behind her left jab and forced the challenger onto the back foot, and that was where she stayed for most of the fight.

The second and third rounds followed much the same pattern with Taylor taking position in the middle of the ring as Han looked to keep out of danger but the Irish fighter was always landing with more frequency and with more powerful blows.

Sensing that things weren't going her way, Han looked to step things up in the fourth round but that aggressive approach from the American played right into Taylor's hands as she was able to exploit the openings that Han left as she chased the fight.

The fifth was a similar round with Taylor happy to pick Han off with single punches and move out of danger but by the sixth round, Han started to visibly tire. Midway through the round, Taylor caught her with a couple of really smart left hooks, rocking back the head of her opponent and from there on out, it was a matter of Taylor chasing the KO.

The closest Taylor came to getting the stoppage was in round 8 when she landed a strong combination on the inside and then dropped Han to the canvas with a powerful left hook. The challenger pleaded a slip but was forced to take a standing count.

The weary American needed a stoppage now but never had the power or the range to threaten Taylor who safely saw out the final rounds before the inevitable decision from the judges.

Bigger fights and tougher challenges lay ahead for the Irish fighter, whose professional record now reads 19-0.

Meanwhile Josh Warrington's big comeback fell flat as his fight against Mauricio Lara was declared a technical draw after two rounds.

Warrington opened an injury around Lara's left eye via an accidental head-butt, and the Mexican was deemed unfit to continue by the ringside doctor.

The news was greeted with groans by the 20,000-capacity crowd at Headingley who had turned up in the hope that Warrington would gain revenge for his knockout defeat by the same fighter in May.