Jason Quigley landed his eighth professional victory and his eighth consecutive knock-out, easily dispatching Michael Faulk in the second round of the super-middleweight bout at the Fantasy Springs Resort in Indio, California on Saturday night.

The Donegal man, fighting out of Oscar de la Hoya’s Golden Boy stable, eased through the opening round against his 36-year-old opponent, before dropping Faulk three times in the second round, which led to the towel being thrown in from the American’s corner.

Former world amateur silver medallist Quigley is still very much in the early stages of a promising professional career and trainer Manny Robles was using this fight to work on the game-plan, which was to get the respect of his opponent early in the fight and to work the right hand, which were both very evident early on in the bout.

Fighting a southpaw for the first time in his fledgling professional career, Quigley was also looking to follow up his right hook over the jab, while also working his opponent’s body and this approach led to the early knockdown in the second round, which ultimately resulted in the stoppage.

After a tentative opening round, Quigley burst into life in the second stanza landing an early combination and a decent shot to the body in the opening twenty seconds, and followed it up with another body and head combination, before unleashing a powerful straight right, which forced Faulk to touch the canvas and take the count.

Faulk continued but went straight back down as another right landed flush from the big-hitting Quigley, who has picked up the nickname ‘El Animal’ where he trains in the Rock Gym on the outskirts of Los Angeles, where the former Irish amateur champion spars with some elite Olympic boxers and a range of up and coming professionals.

The American, to his credit, looked to put up some kind of fight to get through to the bell but was fading quickly and another body-head combination led to the third knockdown, with Quigley’s left hook doing the real damage as the towel was thrown to stop the contest.

Quigley’s style was evident throughout this short, untroubling workout, which was to maintain his composure, pick his punches and ensures that the shots he committed to were accurate and felt by the opponent.

And while the unbeaten Ballybofey boxer admitted afterwards that he did not know much about his opponent, Quigley wasted little time working out what he needed to do to maintain that unbeaten start to the pro ranks.

“I didn’t know a lot about this opponent so I had to figure him out in the first round to see what he was all about,” Quigley told Ring TV after the fight.

“Obviously, he was a southpaw so was open to the backhand, so I tried to land a few backhands to the head and to the body. And I caught him with one at the start of the second round and he went down after that.”