Solicitor Gwen Bowen shares her tips on what you need to remember before selling property.

On sale of property, given the additional taxes and regulations that now apply, Clients must do the following:

  1. Obtain BER Certificate. These last 10 years but in the event of renovations having been carried out you may wish to apply for a new one.
  2. Provide the solicitor with carriage of sale with an authority to take up title if you have a bank loan. If you do not have a loan, ensure that you locate the title documentation and give it to your solicitor.
  3. LPT/Household Charge receipt. You should have received a letter from Revenue confirming your property ID and Pin No. together with your PPS No. This should be furnished to us so that we can download an updated LPT receipt. On this it should show the household charge has been paid. LPT will need to be updated prior to completion of the sale. On any sale closing after 1st of November in the calendar year the LPT will need to be paid for the sequential year. This should be reclaimed from the purchaser and an apportionment account agreed prior to completion of matters.
  4. NPPR Certificate of Exemption. You will need to apply to the local authority for a certificate confirming that the property was your principal private place of residence between the years 2009 and 2013. To do this you need to assemble preferably two types of documentation – a utility bill and a document from either social welfare or the tax office confirming your address at the property in sale You will need to attend at Limerick or Clare local authority NPPR Section in reference and they should provide you with a Certificate of Exemption, which can be placed on the file. Other counties have different requirements
  5. Water charges . You need to confirm to us that you have registered for water and we will need to apply for a certificate of clearance prior to the sale. Please furnish WPRN and registration number. This is still required despite the suspension of the scheme. If you are a member of a group water scheme please obtain details and a letter confirming no outstanding charges. If you have a well, you may need to show water-quality testing.
  6. Please confirm whether the property has mains drainage. If there is a septic tank on the property you should have registered this with Protect Our Water. Any documentary proofs in reference should be furnished to your solicitor.
  7. You will need to sign a declaration confirming that there have been no extensions, alterations or developments to the property since you purchased same and you might please confirm that you have not so extended or developed the property, or that you aware of no extensions to the property If you have, you might please confirm whether planning permission was required and whether you had an engineer involved. If no planning permission was required, we will need an engineer to attend at the property to certify that the works were exempted development. This would also include attic conversions etc.
  8. You will be signing a declaration of marital status and you need to advise if you have ever been married. If you have been separated we need to see a copy of your separation agreement/ Court Order.
  9. All purchasers are advised to carry out a survey, and filled attics and septic tanks overdue for emptying can cause delays The above advices are to ensure a smooth progression of your sale and that there is no addition to the legal costs quoted. Use this as a non-exhaustive checklist and on sale of the property being agreed matters will progress more smoothly