The inquest into the death of 32-year-old Olive McGuire at a hospital 13 years has heard that the "clinical records are silent" for the day she was discharged from St Luke's Hospital in Kilkenny, prior to her returning to hospital in pain the very next day.

Ms McGuire was re-admitted on 13 June 2009 suffering from abdominal pain, vomiting and constipation and was soon placed on a ventilator after suffering a stroke and blood clot.

She died on 24 June 2009 in St Luke's, 11 days after she was admitted.

Two post-mortems were carried out in the days following this.

The court heard the second arose after a conversation took place between consultants and the pathologist to discuss Ms McGuire's death, which meant her body had to be retrieved from her family for the second study, before being returned again.

Dr Norbert Lederer, who was a locum consultant anesthetist at the hospital at the time, performed the procedure on 17 June 2009 to create a new opening for a venous catheter tube to assist Ms McGuire, which resulted in the artery puncture.

The court heard from a separate consultant anesthetist who later looked after Ms McGuire, a mother of two, who claimed he found it "obvious" that the puncture "wasn't recognised", so the procedure continued and potentially made the tear "larger".

The evidence from Dr Niall Kavanagh put forward that an artery puncture is an "acknowledged complication" of the procedure and is one of the "most feared" results of the operation.

Dr Lederer's deposition was read into the court record by coroner Tim Kiely, who said Dr Lederer was "unfortunately no longer within the jurisdiction".

After discussion on whether to allow Dr Lederer's statement on the case to be read, Mr Kiely said he wanted to allow the jury to hear it.

In his statement, Dr Lederer said the insertion was a "difficult placement" which took "two or three attempts" until it could be performed.

Ahead of performing the procedure, Dr Lederer said he noted that Ms McGuire had undergone a gynecological procedure for cysts on her ovary and was a non-smoker who was not on the pill.

After ensuring Ms McGuire was stable, he said, with "no active bleeding from the site", she was moved to intensive care for further management by doctors.

Laboratory and chest and head X-rays were ordered, with one brain scan four days later showing a cerebral issue for Ms McGuire, leading to the neurosurgery in Beaumont Hospital in Dublin getting contacted.

"Unfortunately she failed to wake up," Dr Lederer's statement read.

Earlier today, the court heard from Dr Niall Kavanagh, a separate consultant anesthetist at St Luke's at the time.

Ms McGuire came into his care on 23 June 2009, a day prior to her death.

"If you've punctured the artery but haven't advanced further," Dr Kavanagh said, "It's usually inconsequential. . . the puncture will heal itself."

He added: "Here, unfortunately, it obviously wasn't recogised and the entire procedure was continued so that the tear would have been larger," as an initial needle used for the operation was smaller than the later needle.

Raymond Bradley, senior counsel on behalf of Ms McGuire's family, noted that Dr Kavanagh was not present on 17 June for the procedure.

Coroner Tim Kiely said it was an "accepted fact" that Ms McGuire suffered a puncture to her right carotid artery during the procedure.

The court heard yesterday of delays to the brain scan for Ms McGuire, as the CT machine at St Luke's was temporarily out of service.

Mr Kiely told the court that the inquest is confined to looking at circumstances of Ms McGuire's death and must "not stray into adequacies of diagnosis".

This afternoon heard that the "clinical records are silent" for the day Ms McGuire was discharged, 12 June, prior to her returning to hospital in pain the very next day.

A cross-examination took place of the consultant locum who the court heard had discharged Ms McGuire on that date.

Speaking to court through a phone set on loudspeaker, held bedside a microphone, Dr Hamad Yousef said it was a separate consultant who discharged the patient.

Retired consultant general George Nessim had earlier told the court it was Dr Yousef who had charge of Ms McGuire.

Raymond Bradley said "clinical records are silent for that day" when Ms McGuire was discharged.

"Mr Yousef is saying that Mr Nessim saw Olive McGuire on the 11th," the coroner summarised.

Responding, Mr Bradley said the court heard Mr Nessim "indicating that it was Mr Yousef" who discharged Ms McGuire.

"What I'm trying to ascertain is who made the decision to discharge Ms McGuire and then what assessments took place for that discharge? She was re-admitted the following day," he said.

It is expected to conclude tomorrow.