The jury in the trial of a woman accused of murdering her husband in 2020 is expected to begin its deliberations tomorrow.

Sarah Doyle, 32, of The Heath, Ramsgate Village in Gorey denies the murder of her husband Philip Doyle, 33, which is alleged to have occurred on 26 January, 2020.

Mr Doyle was found in the front garden of the couple's home early that morning having sustained two stab wounds to the chest. He died shortly afterwards.

Closing speeches in the trial were made by senior counsel for the State and for the defence today and Mr Justice David Keane is expected to begin his charge to the jury tomorrow. Jurors will then retire to start considering their verdict.

Evidence of phone analysis was given at the Central Criminal Court, sitting in Waterford, today by Detective Garda Damien McGarry who said he had extracted information from a number of phones, including those of the deceased and the accused.

One text from Philip Doyle to Sarah Doyle at 1.12am on the morning of 26 January said "where da f... are you" and another said "if you wake any of the kids you'll be sleeping in the front garden".

There was also evidence of a number of phone calls between Philip Doyle and Sarah Doyle, he said.

Det Sgt Eoin McSweeney from Gorey Garda Station said the investigation included 228 lines of inquiry being followed up by gardaí, with up to 48 officers involved in the case.

He told Patrick Gageby SC, defending, that Philip Doyle had been bound over to the peace in October of 2010, for a public order offence, and had pleaded guilty in 2005 to a charge of assault causing harm when he was 17.

Sarah Doyle obtained an interim protection order against Mr Doyle in May of 2016, as part of an application by her for a safety order, but she withdrew this application five weeks later, the witness said.

In his closing speech, Paul Green SC, prosecuting, said that after Sarah Doyle and her mother-in-law Jackie Doyle were on a night out, Sarah went home slightly later than Jackie and was "in a very bad temper".

She "set about" her mother-in-law who had gone to bed upstairs in a bedroom with Philip and Sarah's three small children.

Philip Doyle intervened, Mr Green said, and the couple seemed to have had a relationship "where there was a lot of arguing". They argued and it moved downstairs.

Philip Doyle suffered the injury that led to his death in the kitchen, he said, after Sarah Doyle had obtained a knife, and it was "an unlawful killing perpetrated by Sarah Doyle that cannot be justified on the basis of a proportionate use of force".

The trial heard earlier in the week that Sarah Doyle told gardaí that Philip Doyle had "dragged" her down the stairs by her hair when trying to remove her from the house and that she had bruises on her nose and arm.

The trial also heard from two witnesses that Sarah Doyle was shouting about "self-defence" after Philip Doyle was fatally injured.

In his closing speech, Patrick Gageby said Sarah Doyle had arrived home after her mother-in-law and Philip was waiting for her. His mother had spoken to him on her return home and the court had heard that she said "don't ask" or "don't ask, son" to him about whatever had happened on their night out.

"If Philip was in any way inclined to be jealous or possessive or suspicious or controlling of his wife or any of those things, would those words [from his mother] comfort him or pacify him?"

The alarm bells rang in Philip's head, Mr Gageby said, and he made phone calls to Sarah and sent the texts to her, before she got home. He said that Sarah told the gardaí that, when she arrived, "he started punching me so I went upstairs and I punched her [Jackie] in her sleep". She also told gardaí that he had punched her before and he called her a "slut" and a "tramp".

Mr Gageby said there was a "history of abuse". When Sarah was "brought downstairs or dragged downstairs" she ran to the kitchen.

The trial had previously heard from neighbours that Sarah was seen on previous occasions with bruising and one neighbour said he had seen Philip giving her a "slap" on the head.

"Shouldn't Sarah have been safe in her home, when she got home," Mr Gageby said to the jury.

"Producing a knife was a last resort," he said, adding that she was seven inches shorter than her husband, who was a mechanic and did kick-boxing and mixed martial arts, and that the fatal wound "could only have been dealt at close quarters".

The trial continues.