The body of Captain Mark Duffy has been recovered from the wreckage of Irish Coast Guard helicopter Rescue 116.

The search operation for the two other missing crew members is continuing. 

Captain Duffy's body was brought ashore in Co Mayo earlier today.

Navy divers escorted the crewman's body to the pier in Blacksod.

His remains were recovered from the cockpit of the helicopter, which is lying 40 metres below sea level off Blackrock island. 

A white tent was erected to allow a doctor to examine the body before it was transferred to a hearse.

The coffin, draped in the Tricolour, was driven off the pier with a lone piper leading the cortege.

Behind the hearse two lines of Irish Coast Guard personnel, and others involved in the search and recovery over the last 12 days, formed a guard of honour.

A few miles away in the village of Eachléim local people gathered at the roadside to pay their respects.

The State Pathologist's Office has been notified and a post-mortem examination will be carried out at Mayo University Hospital in Castlebar later today.

Relatives of the missing crew members had gathered on Blacksod pier and were joined by dozens of Coast Guard volunteers and members of the emergency services.

The body was recovered after the Marine Institute's Holland 1 Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) worked through the night to ensure divers could access the cockpit of the aircraft.

Using cutting equipment the ROV cleared the way for divers to successfully free the body from the helicopter.

Efforts will now be made to conduct further examinations of the wreckage as the search for two other missing crew members continues.

Captain Dara Fitzpatrick was pulled from the water after the helicopter crashed in the early hours of Tuesday 14 March. She was transferred to Mayo University Hospital where she was later pronounced dead.

The other crew members are Captain Mark Duffy, winchman Ciarán Smith and winch operator Paul Ormsby.

Capt Dara Fitzpatrick, Capt Mark Duffy, winch operator Paul Ormsby, winchman Ciarán Smith

Additional underwater cameras are being used to survey a wider area around what remains of Rescue 116.

If they reveal any clues, garda divers will carry out more detailed underwater investigations.

Nine drones were deployed on the coast of Mullet peninsula and around Erris Head to comb the shoreline.

The air search, being led by Irish Coast Guard helicopters, was extended along north Mayo and into Donegal bay.

Some small pieces of debris from the crash were also discovered between Blacksod and Annagh Head.

We need your consent to load this rte-player contentWe use rte-player to manage extra content that can set cookies on your device and collect data about your activity. Please review their details and accept them to load the content.Manage Preferences

The black box, which holds the flight data and voice records, was taken from the wreckage on Friday and is being flown to Farnborough in the UK for analysis.

There was no apparent damage to the unit.

Air accident investigators will dry it and attempt to download the data at a special facility during the next week.

The AAIU has said it believed the tail of Rescue 116 hit rocks on the western end of the island as it returned from supporting a rescue mission to refuel at Blacksod.

There was no indication of any danger moments before the Sikorsky S92 vanished, with the crew's final transmission: "Shortly landing at Blacksod."