A survey indicates that four out of every ten Dublin pubs are planning on reopening as restaurants at the end of June under Phase three of the lifting of coronavirus restrictions on social and economic life. 

The study was carried out by the Licensed Vintners Association, which represents publicans in Dublin. 

When applied to the 750 pubs located across the capital, that means approximately 330 are planning to reopen. 

Earlier this month the Taoiseach warned that the phased lifting of restrictions would be dependant on the success of the previous one. 

Leo Varadkar said that if any phase resulted in a "second wave" of the virus, restrictions would be reimposed.

Under the Government's current roadmap to ease lockdown measures, pubs are not due to reopen until the fifth and final stage - on August 10.

But 40% of pubs surveyed by the LVA in Dublin said they hold restaurant certificates and are planning to re-open their doors on June 29, when the restaurants are allowed re-start business. 

The survey also revealed that food is available at over 72% of the premises. 

The LVA said that delivering food is a major aspect of business for pubs and they should not be treated differently to other venues that serve food and alcohol. 

The LVA's chief executive Donall O'Keeffe said the survey highlights the urgent need for the Government to engage with the pub sector. 

He said that food is a major aspect of the pub business and the LVA expects there will be a strong demand for these venues, with many pubs reporting a significant public appetite for when they will be serving food again. 

He added that recent Bord Bia research also shows more people eat out at pubs than they do at full service restaurants or cafes.

Meanwhile, hoteliers have welcomed the news that the Government has set up a taskforce to to spearhead recovery in the tourism sector.

The group, which will have an independent chairperson, has been tasked with identifying measures required to enable Irish tourism to recover from the devastating effects of Covid-19.

"Time is now of the essence as we begin to reopen the sector, and this will require a package of sector specific measures to protect the 260,000 jobs supported by our industry," said Tim Fenn, Irish Hotels Federation chief executive.

"One of the lessons learnt from the financial crisis was the requirement to act extremely quickly so that large parts of the economy are not obliterated, with long-term consequences."

While Paul Kelly, CEO of Fáilte Ireland who is a member of the new taskforce, said it is a critical and urgent working group dedicated to ensure the tourism sector recovers from this crisis as quickly as possible.

"The impact of COVID-19 on the tourism sector has been catastrophic and the establishment by the Government of a Tourism Recovery Taskforce is very much welcomed by Fáilte Ireland," he said.

"I look forward to participating and constructively engaging with my fellow members and with our Chair Ruth Andrews who has extensive knowledge of the tourism sector."