Pre-tax profits at Bennett Construction last year increased by 14% to €9.47m as revenues rose.

Accounts filed by Bennett (Construction) Ltd show that the Co Westmeath based business recorded the jump in pre-tax profits after revenues increased by 6.5% from €283.57m to €301.9m in the 12 months to the end of March last.

The directors state that they believe that further increases in revenues will occur in future years.

The Bennett Group was established in 1917 in Mullingar and numbers directly employed by the business last year increased from 145 to 147 made up of 119 in direct labour and 26 in administration.

The directors state that the company continues to achieve growth by its investment in modern business practises and management techniques to ensure that it remains at the cutting edge of the construction industry.

The Bennett Group today has a broad portfolio of successfully completed projects across a range of sectors including residential, hospitality, commercial, industrial, healthcare and pharmaceutical.

Staff costs went up by 14% from €11.57m to €13.1m. Directors' pay totalled €1.34m that included pension contributions of €486,986 and remuneration of €861,361.

The business recorded post tax profits of €8.12m after paying corporation tax of €1.35m.

The accounts show that 71% or €214.9.55m of the business's revenues were generated here with the remaining 29% or €87m in the 'rest of Europe’.

At the end of March last, the business was sitting on accumulated profits of €41.4m. During the year, the firm’s cash pile soared €24.6m to €87.4m.

The profit last year takes account of non-cash depreciation costs of €327,149.