Tullow Oil has bought 90% stakes in four onshore blocks in Ivory Coast while state oil company Petroci holds the remaining 10%. 

The four blocks cover 5,035 square km and are located on the coast, mostly to the west of Abidjan. 

Tullow, which currently holds a non-operated position in the Espoir offshore field in Ivory Coast, said it intends to initiate work immediately on the four new licences to allow surveying to start in early 2018.

The company's chief executive Paul McDade said Tullow has a long history in Ivory Coast having been in country since 1997.

"I am excited about the potential that these blocks, with their proven petroleum system, offer," he added.