The pressure on hotel rooms in the capital should ease in the coming years, according to an analysis by Savills Hotel and Leisure Division.

It calculates that more than 3,000 new rooms are scheduled to come on stream in the next three years.

There are currently around 19,000 hotel rooms in Dublin so that would amount to an increase in supply of around 15%.

The majority of the supply will come on stream in the central areas of Dublin 1,2 and 8 as well as in the vicinity of Dublin airport.

According to the research, 55% of new bedrooms will come from new hotels in 2018, with the remaining 45% in  extensions to existing hotels.

By 2019, Savills expect almost 90% of new supply to come from new hotels. 

Hotels currently under construction include the Aloft in Dublin 8; Clayton Hotel Charlemont St in Dublin 2; Maldron Hotel, Kevin Street, Dublin 8; Marlin Bow Lane in Dublin 2; Boutique Hotel in Ranelagh in Dublin 6 and Pinebrook House in Dublin 2.

Companies involved in the building or renovating of hotels include Dalata Hotel Group, Amaris, FBD, McGetting Hotel Group, Paddy McKillen Junior, Tetrarch and Tifco.