Finance Minister Michael Noonan said he will decide in the coming weeks whether to press ahead with a long-awaited initial public offering of AIB.

Mr Noonan told the Dáil last night that market conditions were encouraging for an IPO.

The Government has appointed several banks to act as bookrunners and global coordinators for the potential sale of a 25% stake in AIB.

Mr Noonan has said the nearest window to sell the shares runs from mid-May to early July. 

"As we look at stock markets today, conditions are encouraging, with bank stocks generally trading positively and my officials inform me that the Irish macroeconomic story is resonating well with international investors," Mr Noonan told the Dáil. 

"However, we have made no decision yet to proceed, and I will make this call in the coming weeks, based on advice from my officials, our banking syndicate and our independent financial adviser Rothschild," the Minister added.