Serves 6 - 8
- 150g (5oz) butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150g (5oz) honey
- 50g (2oz) icing sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g (8oz) ground almonds
- 75g (3oz) whole almonds (with skins on), cut lengthways into 2–3 slices
- 150g (5oz) icing sugar
- 1.5 tblsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (325°F), Gas mark 3. Line the base of a 23cm (9in) spring-form cake tin with a disc of baking parchment or greaseproof paper and grease the sides with butter.
- Place the butter in a saucepan on the heat and melt, then set aside. Put 100g (3½oz) of the honey, the icing sugar, eggs and vanilla into a bowl and, using an electric whisk, beat for 3–4 minutes till light and fluffy and slightly paler in colour. Add the melted butter and ground almonds and mix well to combine.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 26–30 minutes till a skewer inserted into the cake centre comes out clean. Once cooked, take the cake out of the oven and allow it to stand for 5 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Place the sliced almonds on a tray and cook in the oven for 6–8 minutes till light golden, then take out and cool. Meanwhile, place the remaining honey in a small saucepan and allow it to get hot.
- To remove the cake from the tin, run a small sharp knife around the side of the cake, then carefully unclip the sides of the tin and remove. Take a plate, but not your serving plate, tip the cake over onto it and remove the base of the tin and the sheet of paper. Then take your cake serving plate, put it over the cake and flip it over. While the cake is still hot, pour the hot honey over the top, then allow it to cool completely.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to make a spreadable icing. Using a palette knife or the back of a spoon (dipped in boiling water for help if you need it), spread the icing over the top of the cake, then scatter the toasted almonds over the top. Allow the cake to sit for 10–15 minutes for the icing to set.