There are few things in the world worse than hunting down breakfast in a rush, especially when you don't know where to go. And if your searching is rewarded with greasy bacon, limp pancakes and soggy fried bread, you end up with real egg on your face.
Thankfully, the hunt just got that little bit easier as the best breakfasts in the country were revealed at the Georgina Campbell Awards at Dublin's InterContinental Hotel this week.
The awards are selected by incognito inspectors and honour "the people who strive to make the first meal of the day a particularly special experience for visitors and regulars alike," Campbell says.
Lough Erne Resort in Co. Fermanagh went home with the gong for the Best Irish Breakfast in a Five-Star Hotel, while the Limerick Strand Hotel won the award for the best Irish Breakfast Menu.
If breakfast is the most important meal of the day, then brunch must be the second as the decadent meal has outgrown the confines of "a weekend treat" and now factors on many menus, any day of the week.
Speaking at the awards, guest presenter Rachel Allen encouraged chefs to "keep it simple" and make seasonal choices rather than flying in out-of-season ingredients.
In short, "forget the avocado!"
So where is the nation's most beloved brunch spot? Arán Artisan Bakery & Bistro in Co. Kilkenny was named as the winner of a public vote for Ireland's Best Brunch this year.
When it comes to preparing the perfect breakfast spread, good quality ingredients are key. So where to get the best rashers and sausages? According to Campbell, McCarthy's on Kanturk in Co. Cork makes the best breakfast meats in Ireland.
For the full list of winners and other highly commended spots, check out the list below!
Best Irish Breakfast Menu
- Hotel Winner: Limerick Strand Hotel, Limerick
- Highly Commended: The Twelve Hotel, Barna, Co Galway
- Small Stay Winner: Lough Bishop House, Co Westmeath
- Highly Commended: Archways B&B, Rosslare, Co Wexford
Best Irish Breakfast: Five-star Hotel
- Winner: Lough Erne Resort, Enniskillen, Co Fermanagh
- Highly Commended: Trump International Golf Links &Hotel, Doonbeg, Co Clare
- Highly Commended: Powerscourt Hotel Resort & Spa, Enniskerry, Co Wicklow
Best Irish Breakfast: Four-star Hotel
- Winner: Avalon House Hotel, Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny
- Highly Commended: Cliff at Lyons, Celbridge, Co Kildare
- Highly Commended: Vaughan Lodge, Lahinch, Co Clare
Best Irish Breakfast: Three-star Hotel
- Winner: Eccles Hotel, Glengarriff, Co Cork
- Highly Commended: Killeen House Hotel, Killarney, Co Kerry
- Highly Commended: Stauntons on the Green, Co Dublin
Best Irish Breakfast: Country House
- Winner: Huntington Castle & Gardens, Clonegal, Co Carlow
- Highly Commended: Ashley Park House, Nenagh, Co Tipperary
- Highly Commended: Ardtara Country House, Upperlands, Co Derry
Best Irish Breakfast: Guest House
- Winner: The Quay House, Clifden, Co Galway
- Highly Commended: Heatons House, Dingle, Co Kerry
- Highly Commended: Lancaster Lodge, Co Cork
Best Irish Breakfast: B&B
- Winner: Sheedy's Doolin Boutique B&B, Doolin, Co Clare
- Highly Commended: Danny Minnies, Annagry, Co. Donegal
- Highly Commended: The Wilder Townhouse, Co Dublin
Best Irish Breakfast: Visitor Attraction
- Winner: Hillsborough Castle Café, Hillsborough, Co Down
- Highly Commended: The Commons Café at Moli, Co Dublin
- Highly Commended: Good Day Deli, Nano Nagle Place, Co Cork