We've moved past the phase of apologetically snapping a photo of our meals, and for many of us taking a photo of our carefully selected dish is all part of the experience.
So it's no wonder that Instagram has become saturated with perfectly framed photos of dishes, from steamed dumplings to black ice cream, and even more outlandish creations designed specifically to be photographed.
However, when it comes to what foods dominate our grids, you could be in for a surprise as many of the choices are more traditional than trend.
The artfully arranged Açaí bowl and the emblematic millennial favourite avocado toast can't compete with classic foodie delights like the humble macaron, the French delicacy that racked up five million posts on the social media platform.
Behind that, the vivid green of pesto, which was also the ninth most-Instagrammed food in the world, with posts coming specifically from Genoa, where it's produced.
Regional delicacies reigned supreme across the board, with the last three spots in Europe taken by local cheeses: hot fondue and oozing raclette in Switzerland and crumbly feta cheese in Greece.
Meanwhile, across the world, food still speaks volumes when it comes to capturing the essence of a city or a country, so it's no surprise that the most Instagrammed food in the world was the classic New York City pizza slice, racking up 37,900,000 posts.
Also on the list was fried chicken from Mississippi, poké from Hawaii and sushi from Japan.
The most Instagrammed Europe foods
- Macarons - France - 5,000,000 Posts
- Pesto - Italy - 1,700,000 Posts
- Fondue - Switzerland - 1,000,000 Posts
- Feta Cheese - Greece - 1,000,000 Posts
- Raclette - Switzerland - 464,000 Posts
The 10 most Instagrammed world foods
- Pizza – (New York, USA) – 37,900,000 Posts
- Hamburger (Texas, USA) – 35,000,000 Posts
- Sushi (Tokyo, Japan) – 23,600,000 Posts
- Steak (Idaho, USA) – 10,200,000 Posts
- Macarons (Paris, France) – 5,000,000 Posts
- Pho (Hanoi, Vietnam) – 2,700,000 Posts
- Lamb (Colorado, USA) – 2,300,000 Posts
- Fried Chicken (Mississippi, USA) – 2,100,000 Posts
- Pesto (Genoa, Italy) – 1,700,000 Posts
- Poke (Hawaii, North America) – 1,500,000 Posts